News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

affilatura coltelli

Started by Nazzareno Falcone, January 06, 2024, 10:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nazzareno Falcone

Sono relativamente nuovo sia per il forum che per quanto riguarda l'utilizzazione del sistema Tormek.
la prima domanda che faccio è come facilmente vi aspettate è sull'angolo di affilatura . Non solo perché  sembra una lotteria, ognuno da i propri gradi; manca una tabella che dia dei valori di massima dai quali partire es: coltelli da cucina generici, da prosciutto, da Bushcraft ecc ma soprattutto dire se i gradi si riferiscono solo ad un lato o tutti e due. ES: cucina 20° , sono totali, o 20 °  per ogni faccia,  ? Seconda domanda: spesso i coltelli sono molto rovinati e occorre lavorare  ore per ristabilire la forma. Si , mi direte che esistono le diamantate, ma queste non solo costano moltissimo, ma soprattutto si consumano facilmente. Quindi: è prevista l'uscita di una mola di pietra molto ruvida da poter facilmente, in poco tempo, ristabilire la forma originale di una lama?

cbwx34

Quote from: Nazzareno Falcone on January 06, 2024, 10:38:59 PMSono relativamente nuovo sia per il forum che per quanto riguarda l'utilizzazione del sistema Tormek.
la prima domanda che faccio è come facilmente vi aspettate è sull'angolo di affilatura . Non solo perché  sembra una lotteria, ognuno da i propri gradi; manca una tabella che dia dei valori di massima dai quali partire es: coltelli da cucina generici, da prosciutto, da Bushcraft ecc ma soprattutto dire se i gradi si riferiscono solo ad un lato o tutti e due. ES: cucina 20° , sono totali, o 20 °  per ogni faccia,  ? Seconda domanda: spesso i coltelli sono molto rovinati e occorre lavorare  ore per ristabilire la forma. Si , mi direte che esistono le diamantate, ma queste non solo costano moltissimo, ma soprattutto si consumano facilmente. Quindi: è prevista l'uscita di una mola di pietra molto ruvida da poter facilmente, in poco tempo, ristabilire la forma originale di una lama?

For reference, this is what it translated to:

QuoteI am relatively new to both the forum and the use of the Tormek system.
The first question I ask is how easily you expect is about the sharpening angle. Not just because it looks like a lottery, everyone gives their own ranks; there is no table that gives general values from which to start e.g.: generic kitchen knives, ham knives, Bushcraft knives etc. but above all to say if the grades refer only to one side or both. ES: kitchen 20°, are total, or 20° for each face, ? Second question: knives are often very damaged and you have to work for hours to restore the shape. Yes, you will tell me that there are diamonds, but these not only cost a lot, but above all they wear out easily. So: is it planned to come out with a very rough stone wheel that can easily, in a short time, restore the original shape of a blade?

To answer some of it... angles given in your example are for each side, so 20 deg. per side, 40 deg. total. 

There's no set rule on what angle to use, although there are examples in the Tormek manual. One idea is to match what is on the knife for a starting point, then work from there.

There are some members who use a more coarse stone... I'll let them comment.  But if you need to make a repair with the stone you have, try grinding at a very high angle until you repair the damage, then lower the angle and sharpen.  This will make the work take less time.

Hope that helps.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Nazzareno.

Do you have a copy of the handbook? If not, by registering your Tormek on the website (tormek.com) ou an download the handbook. The handbook is a free download and is available in numerous languages. The handbook discusses various bevel angles.

The handbook also discusses how to make your grinding wheel more coarse or more fine using the stone grader. If you keep your grinding wheel graded coarse frequently, kitchen knives, even damaged knives, should not require long sharpening times.

Keep us posted.

Ken

John_B

Manufacturers often post the sharpening angle on their website. For example Wusthof posts 14° per side and Japanese style at 10°. Survival and other knives normally are sharpened at a higher angle based on the expected task. Over time with the improvements in steels and user pressure manufacturers have seemed to be reducing the angle from the 20° we use to see.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 07, 2024, 01:27:54 AMSecond question: knives are often very damaged and you have to work for hours to restore the shape. Yes, you will tell me that there are diamonds, but these not only cost a lot, but above all they wear out easily. So: is it planned to come out with a very rough stone wheel that can easily, in a short time, restore the original shape of a blade

In short no. There are techniques for quickly restoring a damaged blade though. One demonstrated in the Tormek videos is to grind the edge flat (90 degrees to the side of the knife) to remove the damage then re-establish the bevel. See the video below - the video starts at the relevant place

https://www.youtube.com/live/oUnosmAngJw?si=OEkfZ4Ug4-B5HVTL&t=260

Perra

Maybe  this can help you as a start or a guide lineYou cannot view this attachment.