News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tormek Projection Jig

Started by David Bedrosian, January 03, 2024, 04:05:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Bedrosian

As a hobbyist woodworker, I like to maximize my efficiency when I'm in my shop.  That's one of the reasons I bought my T-8; it works superbly with the SE-77 jig to sharpen chisels and plane irons.  When I use the jig, I want to match the existing bevel angle of the chisel or plane iron to minimize the amount of steel that I need to remove to get back to a sharp edge.  I can do that using the angle setting gauge or by eye with a sharpie, but I wanted a faster and more accurate way to get the desired grind angle so I designed this Tormek projection jig.

You cannot view this attachment.

The jig features removable angle blocks that are held in place with magnets.  I made blocks for the angles that I use most often – 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40 degrees. The jig is easy to use and I find it works best clamped in a vise since it leaves both hands free. Two strong magnets hold the chisel or plane iron in place which allows me to tighten the knobs on the SE-77 jig. I don't have to rely on the shoulder on the SE-77 jig to get a square grind; instead, I make sure the cutting edge is touching the top of the angle block as shown below.

The jig works just as well with skewed plane irons.

To prevent dents and wear of the angle blocks, I added a strip of UHMW tape to the top surface.

With the chisel or plane iron secured in the SE-77 jig, I can start grinding without further adjustments to the Tormek. Of course, the jig relies on the support arm being at a fixed height relative to the grinding wheel and I find the TTS-100 turning tool setter works best for this. 

I have a second support arm for my honing wheel and it is also set using the TTS-100 so I can sharpen and hone at the same angle without making any adjustments to my T8.

I've made a YouTube video showing more of the details of the jig

With this new jig, I'm sharpening more often but it's taking me less time so I can get back to woodworking.

Thanks for checking out my jig and all the best for 2024,
David

RichColvin

Dedicated USBs with collars locking the TTS-100 settings are also recommended.

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: David Bedrosian on January 03, 2024, 04:05:53 AM...
Of course, the jig relies on the support arm being at a fixed height relative to the grinding wheel and I find the TTS-100 turning tool setter works best for this. 

Pretty cool.

Calcapp (as well as jvh's TormekCalc) has a calculator that can be used to set the USB (support arm).  For example...

Would work well with your setup, (as an alternative to the TTS-100).
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

David Bedrosian

Quote from: RichColvin on January 03, 2024, 05:23:52 AMDedicated USBs with collars locking the TTS-100 settings are also recommended.

Great idea with the dedicated USBs

David

David Bedrosian

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 03, 2024, 03:02:11 PM
Quote from: David Bedrosian on January 03, 2024, 04:05:53 AM...
Of course, the jig relies on the support arm being at a fixed height relative to the grinding wheel and I find the TTS-100 turning tool setter works best for this. 

Pretty cool.

Calcapp (as well as jvh's TormekCalc) has a calculator that can be used to set the USB (support arm).  For example...

Would work well with your setup, (as an alternative to the TTS-100).

Thanks for the links. I worked out the distance for each angle using the angle setting gauge but this would have been faster.

David