News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Season's Greetings

Started by Ken S, December 25, 2023, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Season's greetings to all. 2023 has been an exciting year for the Tormek Community. It has seen the 50th Anniversary T8; the recertification of the T4 and T2 to continuous duty; the self centering KJ knife jigs; the MB-102; and some fine online classes. I look forward to 2024 being another productive year for our Tormek Community.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Thanks Ken, And to you too, and for that matter to the entire forum membership :)

This year saw me enter the Tormek camp. Although my day job was electronics associate engineering, later IT I have always had many outside interests including Woodworking. My dad was a woodworker, doing his apprenticeship in the 1910s and my #1 son and I inherited his love of fine woodworking.

The Tormek has always been a distant dream but the wife saw one at an auction for a fraction of new price. That and some spare funds, and a new shed allowed me to set up the Tormek system and to say that I have been delighted at the results is an understatement. I have really enjoyed being part of the community and have appreciated the willingness to share experience and knowledge here.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank every one for a warm welcome and for your generosity.

Ken S

Hi, John.

I enjoyed your reply. Your story is similar to mine. My day job was an installation and repair technician with AT&T, work which I enjoyed very much. One of my magic places as a boy was my grandfather's basement woodworking workshop. I treasure some of his tools. Although it seems my sharpening time has become mostly kitchen knives, my first sharpening love has always been and continues to be chisels and plane irons.

One of the highlights of my visit to Tormek was seeing the museum. They have examples on display of machines going back to the original prototype Torgny made as a Christmas present for his father, who was a woodworker. I am fascinated with the historical development of the Tormek. I am pleased that innovation is ongoing with Tormek.

"Good on you and your wife" for giving an older Tormek more useful service.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Ken, yes, I worked for the Australian equivalent Telstra. And yes, love getting that fine edge on chisels and plane irons. I recently got a Stanley #5 for a very good price and the iron was as dull as a car tyre, but the Tormek soon set it to rights.

I really enjoyed refreshing the 2011 T7. I had a rusty case and shaft but a good clean, rust remover some matching blue paint, new shaft and wheel and some TLC had it purring in no time. All up it come in about half new price for new old T7 stock.

I loved the history of the company they posted yesterday on their YouTube channel.

Ken S

John,

My second Tormek is a 2011 T7. (The first T7 sadly was stolen in a house break in.)You should get many years of good service from it. In my opinion, you will get better service due to the sweat equity you have invested in it.

I inherited my Stanley #5 from my other grandfather. It is 1891 vintage. I tuned it as a project in a hand planning class. It works like a champ now. I have an irrational belief that old tools impart some of the wisdom of the old craftsman to new users.

Ken

John_B

I hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

winter is a busy time as I try and get caught up with all my indoor tasks including knife sharpening for my customers. I am slow during the warm months as I like to get out and ride my motorcycle.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

tgbto

Hey everyone !

Best wishes to all of you for 2024 !