News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"It's a completely different technology.".

Started by Ken S, December 06, 2023, 09:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

In Class 22 Wolfgang was asked if there is a T2 style knife jig for the T8. He answered "No, it is a completely different technology." Excellent answer. It also starts to explain why the tilt up technique is not used for the tip of the knife with the T2 and T1. Start at 23:00.

https://www.youtube.com/live/zPfckZXyW6Y?si=FGv6XFa-_U2eEDuU

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on December 06, 2023, 09:27:49 AM...
It also starts to explain why the tilt up technique is not used for the tip of the knife with the T2 and T1.

What specifically are you referring to?  I'm not seeing anything about tilting... ???
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good point, CB. You are correct; the comment in class 22 did not mention tilting. I was referring to, but did not mention, some of the earlier forum criticism about the design of the T2 (and T1) not allowing tilting. To me, this fits in with the concept of a completely different technology, not necessarily better or worse, just different. I should have explained my thought more thoroughly.

Ken

Ken S

Tormek technology was much simpler when I joined the forum in 2009. The new Tormek in the US was essentially just the T7. The forum was much more US centric back then. For the record, I am pleased that our forum has become more global.  My reference to the US centric being more simple referred only to the 110 volt, 60 Hertz power.

We had only one grinding wheel, the SG-250. We had only the leather honing wheel and PA-70 honing compound.

The "complications" have certainly broadened the scope of the Tormek. They have also necessitated broadening our thinking. The new conventional and diamond grinding wheels offer exciting new possibilities; however, they also require changes in technique. The T2 and T1 must be run dry and without honing compound. The T1 only produces flat grinds. The diamond wheels can produce concave or flat grinds. When used with the KJ knife jigs, even convex grinds are possible.

Our more specialized machines have broadened the scope of users, especially with knife sharpeners. I am excited about Tormek's continuing innovation.

Ken