News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to set the measurement for the leather wheel?

Started by mjninc, December 04, 2023, 01:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjninc

Hi, I'm new to Tormek and have a Supergrind 2000 with a vertical front base.  I'm trying to learn how to use angle calculators to learn how to sharpen like I've seen on Knife Grinders Australia Youtube channel. 

I want to do the best I can with what I've got, just the Supergrind 2000 and the leather wheel (with green rouge).   

I think I can get the angle right for the wheel, based on one of the videos, but I don't know if there is a video that shows how to set the angle for the leather wheel with a caliper.

Do you know of any videos (or pictures) that show how to set the angle on the front vertical base (with a caliper?) for the leather wheel?

Thank you for your help!

Dutchman

Quote from: mjninc on December 04, 2023, 01:51:41 AM... snip
how to set the angle on the front vertical base ... for the leather wheel?
The simplest method is to measure the distance from USB to the wheel.
See the principles of the method in the documents via the link below in my signature

cbwx34

Quote from: mjninc on December 04, 2023, 01:51:41 AMHi, I'm new to Tormek and have a Supergrind 2000 with a vertical front base.  I'm trying to learn how to use angle calculators to learn how to sharpen like I've seen on Knife Grinders Australia Youtube channel. 

I want to do the best I can with what I've got, just the Supergrind 2000 and the leather wheel (with green rouge). 

I think I can get the angle right for the wheel, based on one of the videos, but I don't know if there is a video that shows how to set the angle for the leather wheel with a caliper.

Do you know of any videos (or pictures) that show how to set the angle on the front vertical base (with a caliper?) for the leather wheel?

Thank you for your help!

Setting the USB height with an FVB makes it the same as setting it on the sharpening side.  Here's an example measuring straight to the wheel...

You cannot view this attachment.

The other way is to just measure from the top of the USB bar straight down to the top of the FVB.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

mjninc

Thank you for the responses!

Is this a front vertical base?  This is what I have, do the same principles apply?

cbwx34

Quote from: mjninc on December 04, 2023, 11:39:12 PMThank you for the responses!

Is this a front vertical base?  This is what I have, do the same principles apply?

Yes and Yes  ;)

mjninc

mjninc

I used the tormek for my first serious try at sharpening knife recently.

Do you normally have to take off the grinding wheel to use the leather wheel?

I used the guide rail on the front of the Tormek and I was just sharpening a normal size steak knife, and a handle hit the grinding wheel.

Maybe the setup was wrong?

cbwx34

Quote from: mjninc on February 05, 2024, 07:10:01 PMI used the tormek for my first serious try at sharpening knife recently.

Do you normally have to take off the grinding wheel to use the leather wheel?

I used the guide rail on the front of the Tormek and I was just sharpening a normal size steak knife, and a handle hit the grinding wheel.

Maybe the setup was wrong?

You either can angle the knife, or remove the grinding wheel (and replace it with a spacer) to hone the knife.

This video may help... The Basics of Honing