News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Wet shirt!

Started by Sir Amwell, October 23, 2023, 12:36:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Amwell

All seems quiet on the Tormek front.
This isn't a serious question but you may find it funny.
I use the Tormek standing up, edge leading to set edges.
I have a bit of a belly but not overly.
I can't seem to stop the dreaded occurrence of the wheel sucking on to my shirt and soaking it.
Now I know this is not a real world problem and I should be wearing an apron, but it is SO annoying!
It breaks concentration and usually occurs when grinding the tip when I am trying to use precision control to match the curve and not over grind.
Any tips?
Anyone else have this problem?
I swear a cotton shirt is like a magnet to a wet CBN wheel!

RichColvin

I would like to say that this never happens to me ...  :-\
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Sir Amwell on October 23, 2023, 12:36:51 AMAnyone else have this problem?

Yes and I agree, I too should wear an apron. I have one hanging right next to the machine and every time I end up soaked I remember that it is right there next to me.

Ken S

I am puzzled. In all of the knife sharpening online classes, I have never noticed Wolfgang wearing a wet shirt. Why is this?

Could it be because he stands behind the Tormek, thus facing a class? Which way are you facing when attracting the water?

Are you using the minimum amount of water to just flow over the top?

It has been suggested that lowering the water trough on the T8 may help.

In the meantime, keep a coupe dry shirts handy!

Ken

Tony Montana

I have the same problem...is not a question of belly ahahah
It's because i want to stay as close as possible when precision is required, some passages are still tricky for me. I don't have enough experience to mantain a proper posture for the entire process.

Crabnbass

Used to happen to me all the time, now only occasionally. Lately, I've been dry grinding the lowest grit before switching to wet grinding for the finer grits so that might have something to do with it, not sure.

tgbto

I own two T-8s, I tend to never have this problem with the one that sits higher up. Maybe it happens when I bend over the machine a bit more.

Ken S

Interesting observation.

I don't recall anyone mentioning if this occurs when sharpening smaller knives and chisels or only longer knives.

tormekal

Samething happens to me using T4.  And I was doing longer kitchen knives

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on October 25, 2023, 10:28:44 AMInteresting observation.

I don't recall anyone mentioning if this occurs when sharpening smaller knives and chisels or only longer knives.

Yes, mostly with longer knives and planner blades.

Also I have the T7 which may be worse for this.

Ken S

Interesting. I recall something in one on the later online classes about shimming the Tormek slightly (downhill towards the grinding wheel. And, of course, using the ramp with longer knives. (Am I the only user who never uses the ramp, and stays dry?)

I consider our Sharpening Doctor talented and experiencd, although perhaps not quite infallible. As such, as long as he stays dry, I consider the possibility that the problem may be operator rather than Tormek.

We should stay with this until it is resolved!

Ken

RichColvin

Ken,

I am quite sure that in my case, it is definitely the operator at fault. 

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

tgbto

Yup. And no real mistery here, just standing a bit close to the wheel.

John Hancock Sr

Quote from: Ken S on October 26, 2023, 08:23:05 AMshimming the Tormek slightly (downhill towards the grinding wheel

Helps. I use a 3D printed water catcher which helps with spillage as well.

3D Anvil

When I first started with Tormek I regularly dipped my shirttails in the water trough.  I've learned to avoid it over time.  Mostly.   ;D