News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

WIP: water shield for drive wheel

Started by 3D Anvil, September 29, 2023, 07:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3D Anvil

I suspect there aren't many people who are running grinding wheels on both sides of the T-8, but for those who do, water falling on the rubber of the drive wheel can be a problem.  Not a huge problem, of course -- but it does cause some slippage and thus loss of power.

Some folks have dealt with it by using a section from a 1.5 liter bottle as a shield.  I recently got a 3D printer and came up with this alternative:

At the moment it's held in place with some double-faced tape on top of the Tormek.  To be honest, it's a bit rickety in its present form, but it works fine.  I'll probably end up doing a new version that eliminates the blue braces altogether.  Maybe extend the circumference of the shield, build in some tabs on either side, and then have two pieces, one on either side, to stick onto the side of the machine and accept the tabs to act as support.

Crabnbass

Nice. I don't dual wheel sharpen very often, but when I do, drive wheel slippage is definitely an issue.

John Hancock Sr

When I sharpen my 15" thicknesser blades I get water all over the wheel. This will be very handy