News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

So many knives!

Started by John Hancock Sr, September 18, 2023, 03:20:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hancock Sr

My sister in law brought over 15 knives yesterday for me to sharpen. All were in various stages of extremely blunt to needing reshaping! I think it gave me a taste of the life if a professional sharpener. They were all pretty ordinary supermarket knives so nothing special. One was a vintage carving knife with the rectangular bone handle that grandma used for her Sunday roast.

The wife keeps suggesting that I take my setup to the local market. After yesterday's marathon I think I will leave it to the professionals. Not that I was tempted, but it just confirmed my thought that it is not something I want to make a living from.

Ken S

John_B

I have what I like to call a concierge sharpening sideline. I have a select group of customers that I maintain. They all have pretty nice knives and it makes me a little side money but does not consume too much of my time. In the warm months I prefer to be out riding my motorcycle. I also found that a couple lessons in how to steel a knife helps keep them sharp longer.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

John Hancock Sr

My wife has far too many friends ;)