News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

My favorite knifes shapening youtube channel: Findon Knife Sharpening with Baz

Started by Merlin, September 13, 2023, 12:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

I stumbled 2 days ago on an awesome Live and pre recorded youtube channel called Findon Knife Sharpening.
Featering Baz.

I am not new to knife sharpening, been sharpening knifes for about 15 years now but never on the Tormek.
This channel is an very good starting point for me.

Baz is sharpening up to 10+ knives a session describing everything he does.

For me as an Tormek newbe this is an information treasury !
The channel and Baz has a great vibe to !

John Hancock Sr

Agree. He seems like a top bloke. He is in the same city as me and next time I am down that way I will drop in for a chin wag. He has some great ideas and does a top job on his knives. Also his technique has evolved from his early days. You can tell how much sharpening he has done by the wear on his old wheels and old dressing stone. He is very Australian and very Adelaide.

To be honest I think that watching him has given me a lot more confidence in my own sharpening and improved my technique considerably.

Andy1066

I also watch a lot of his videos, very informative and you can pick up a lot of good tips from watching him work. His technique has definitely evolved these last 6 months or so and he has a good speed and workflow on his Tormek. I was always amazed by the amount of paper cuttings that were on his workshop floor....... but he seems to tidy up more there days ! ! Ha ha .

Dutchman

Quote from: Andy1066 on September 14, 2023, 07:44:10 AM...
... he has a good speed and workflow on his Tormek.
Huh? It takes him 14 minutes before he sharpens his first knife. ???

Sharpie

Quote from: Dutchman on September 14, 2023, 10:54:56 AMHuh? It takes him 14 minutes before he sharpens his first knife. ???
What a ridiculous thing to say. What has that got to do with anything? Putz.

tgbto

I'm not sure I understand what he's doing with the sharpie to end up setting up the height with the AngleMaster anyway...

As for starting by grinding the tip area rather than the heel, I think you have to be pretty damn experienced and steady not to mess the tip up by doing so.

Sharpie

His tips are always fantastic. He's mastered the tip first technique and made it his own. He has over 250 movies. How many have you seen?

Sharpie

Quote from: Dutchman on September 15, 2023, 10:37:35 AMI didn't think his jig setting was "good speed".

What are you talking about? Is that all you can pick on him for? Pathetic. Forum rats are always the same. Just looking for something negative to say about everyone. So bloody typical.

Ken S

tgbto

Quote from: Sharpie on September 15, 2023, 11:01:38 AMHis tips are always fantastic. He's mastered the tip first technique and made it his own. He has over 250 movies. How many have you seen?

Thank you for your kind reply. My apologies if that was not clear in my post : he seems *very* experienced and steady. I don't doubt his tips are perfect, as they seem to be.

I remain of the opinion that most people who sharpen knives on a Tormek would be at risk of messing up the tip by doing so.

I forgot : Welcome to the forum, @Sharpie.

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on September 15, 2023, 10:56:12 AMI'm not sure I understand what he's doing with the sharpie to end up setting up the height with the AngleMaster anyway...

As for starting by grinding the tip area rather than the heel, I think you have to be pretty damn experienced and steady not to mess the tip up by doing so.

He should use a calculator. ;)

I didn't watch much of the video, (so maybe this doesn't apply), but I mark most of my edges with a Sharpie, regardless of how I set the angle.  The Sharpie also can tell me when I've reached the very edge, if there is a steep microbevel (that a lot of factory knives have to remove the burr) that needs to be sharpened out, etc.

I agree with you about starting at the tip.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

Quote from: cbwx34 on September 15, 2023, 05:28:40 PM
Quote from: tgbto on September 15, 2023, 10:56:12 AMI'm not sure I understand what he's doing with the sharpie to end up setting up the height with the AngleMaster anyway...

I didn't watch much of the video, (so maybe this doesn't apply), but I mark most of my edges with a Sharpie, regardless of how I set the angle.  The Sharpie also can tell me when I've reached the very edge, if there is a steep microbevel (that a lot of factory knives have to remove the burr) that needs to be sharpened out, etc.

You're so right... Come to think of it, I put some sharpie on the edge quite often too, at the beginning when I set the angle using it and right before I start sharpening when I set it another way and just want to judge if the lifting/pivoting is ok. The fact that he put it so early in the process made me think he would use it to set the angle. Pilots call that the "tunnel effect".

Ken S

Merlin,

I just found this video by Findon. The technique is solid. I was impressed that he acknowledged that the idea was from Wootz (Vadim), making no claim to being the originator. He also expanded it slightly. It was well done and informative.
here is a link:

https://youtu.be/HzF_TQHixrg?si=b8_joWCNRksz08sZ

Ken

Merlin

Hello Ken,

Thank you for the link.

I indeed saw the video.
Also his video about dressing the stone is very extensive and informative.

M