News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Problems" Horizontal knife sharpening with KJ-45 and SJ-250 15 degrees a side.

Started by Merlin, September 10, 2023, 12:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

Hello, Merlin from the Netherlands here.

I have problems sharpening my thin 240mm Japanese knife edge trailing on the SJ-250 at 15 degrees or less with the KJ-250.

The trouble arises when the jig "hangs" on the horizontal beam weld of the Tormek machine.
The part of the Jig which hangs is the "bump" of the Jig.
I see that the older steel Jig (SVM-45) does not has this "bump", just a straight steel bar.

Does any one has a solution for this Problem ?
Or even an SVM-45 laying around to sell ?

Also is there a strategy to install the beam of the Tormek vertically to sharpening egde trailing in vertical position. ? This would solve the problem instantly

I am looking forward to learn from you people.     

Dan

Which is the part of the jig that is catching in the support bar? 1 or 2?

this has been a problem described here quite a few times previously. The solution that most people choose to get round this is to use a Front Vertical Base (FVB) or if it is the locking screw (number 2 in the photo) causing the problem you can chnage this for a small grub screw with Allen head  - M6 I believe.
The FVB is available from a few places. Here for example
FVB from Germany others are available.

The new Tormek jig MB-102 should also help as it can be used as a simple FVB.
See this recent thread
New MB-102 jig
I have yet to see this new jig for sale in the EU but it should be available soon.
Marcin in Belgium has very good prices

Danny

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: Merlin on September 10, 2023, 12:22:16 PMHello, Merlin from the Netherlands here.

I have problems sharpening my thin 240mm Japanese knife edge trailing on the SJ-250 at 15 degrees or less with the KJ-250.

The trouble arises when the jig "hangs" on the horizontal beam weld of the Tormek machine.
The part of the Jig which hangs is the "bump" of the Jig.
I see that the older steel Jig (SVM-45) does not has this "bump", just a straight steel bar.

Does any one has a solution for this Problem ?
Or even an SVM-45 laying around to sell ?

Also is there a strategy to install the beam of the Tormek vertically to sharpening egde trailing in vertical position. ? This would solve the problem instantly

I am looking forward to learn from you people.     

I suspect this can be remedied without another jig or other mods.  Can you provide a photo of the knife clamped in the jig and described how you lift or turn the knife to follow the curve of the blade from heel to tip?

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Merlin.

The problem is solved with this upcoming Tormek accessory, the MB-102. It will be available by mid October in the US and probably sooner in Holland. Here is a link to the online class describing it:

https://www.youtube.com/live/uNupoAP5gAU?si=PFnEzWWWj89Wt14_

This link is for the English version of the class. There will be four versions, Swedish, German, French, and English. Check on tormek.com. The description may also be available in other languages.

The problem is the plastic head of the locking knob and the sleeve knobs colliding. The MB-102 solves this problem, while being priced comparably to either just the MB-100 or an FVB. It is cleverly engineered.

This was never a problem with the traditional Tormek method of honing knives freehand. Now that many users prefer jig mounted knife honing, the MB-102 provides the needed clearance.

Be sure to watch the online class.

Ken

Merlin

Hello All.

Dan: It is arrow 1 on your photo which is catching.

I do have Tormek MB-100 Multi Base is there a way I can use this attribute ?

In what way does the new Jig MB-102 function differently then the MB-100 ?

Many thanks !

cbwx34

Quote from: Merlin on September 10, 2023, 04:31:48 PM...
In what way does the new Jig MB-102 function differently then the MB-100 ?

Many thanks !

They added 2 holes so that a USB bar can be inserted vertically...

You cannot view this attachment.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

cbwx34

I hadn't given it much thought until now, but I wonder if one could affix an XB-100 to an MB-100?

You cannot view this attachment.

Might have to get the drill out?

::)   

Merlin

Hello Hello,

The German FVB looks Solid.

https://schleifjunkies.de/en/product/vertical-front-base/

I think this will be the best option for me.

If anyone has even a better suggestion please let me know.

cbwx34

Quote from: Merlin on September 10, 2023, 08:07:54 PM...
If anyone has even a better suggestion please let me know.

There's always the option to make your own... there's info in this thread.

Dan

If you are catching on the the second stop on the jig (number 1) then you can only buy (or make) a FVB or remove the second stop on the KJ-45 jig but this is probably not a good idea. You may want to to use it one day!
Yes the FVB from schleifjunkies looks good. I bought another item from them and the service was very good.
Out if interest, here is a photo of my homemade FVB

on the machine

with support inserted

use with knife

There is something nice about making your own but to be honest I didn't really save money doing mine, I just enjoy making things.

There is also a swedish made version available but I can't find the link at the moment.
If I were to buy one now then the new Tormek MB-102 may well be cheaper. I have just seen one online for preorder in the UK for £90.https://www.yandles.co.uk/tormek-mb-102-multi-base/p30279

I imagine it will be for sale about 80 euros from Marcin in Belgium sometime soon.

Danny

Merlin

Hello,

I have considered making my own.
The thing is that I have not the precision tools to make with in the tolerances I would like to use it in.

Best option is probably to by one which is made by someone who really is in to making it flawlessly with the right tools.

Dan

Well, in that case the Shleifjunkies FVB is a good option.

Unless.... you also have a diamond wheel in which case the new Tormek MB-102 may be more useful and possibly cheaper.

Danny

Merlin

Vertical front base from schleifjunkies has been ordered 5 minutes ago.

I do have Diamond wheels but I do own an MB-100 also.

The solidness as seen on the website pleases me.
I will inform you all about my findings once I have been working with it.

I thank you all very much for all the helpful information today and so far.

Many thanks and greeting from the Netherlands,

Merlin

Ken S

I have no doubt that the schleifjunkies FVB will work. However, I am puzzled as to why one would decide not to purchase the MB-102 before even seeing it. (I would feel the same way if the situation were reversed.) Shipping to the US takes longer than shipping from Sweden within Europe. The largest US dealer estimates availability in mid October. A local European dealer should be able to tell you an estimated availability date. We will probably have these for many years; why the rush to purchase?

Ken

Merlin

Good question Ken, I am a bit puzzled mezelf. My Gut want things fast and I own the MB-100.
I guess I am not a totally rational person. I made the decision on availability right now and the looks of solidness on the schleifjunkies website.

Can you follow me better now ?