News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Advice for good sharpening technique on cleavers

Started by Nico, September 08, 2023, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Montana

Hi Folks,

I'm Tony, knife enthusiast from Italy/Switzerland, and this is my firt time on the forum.

Speaking about sharpening cleavers, before I bought the US-430, i used to sharpen them with KJ-45 on the secondary stop. It's not ideal, but it works pretty good with a bit of practice.
The biggest problem is the thightening nub that interferes with the USB. You can easly solve the issue using a short set screw.
Round off the corners of the stone helps a lot. As Nico says, with heavy/bulky cleavers it's easy to lose control and unintenionally tilt the blade, especially if you use the secondary stop.

Having said this, there remains the problem of the angle. Sharpening between 15°-20° dps, as for the chinese cleavers, is not a problem, especially with smaller wheels. But if you have to keep 25° or more, as for the bone choppers, the USB might not be enough.

In the end I bought the extended support...eheheh

cbwx34

Quote from: aquataur on September 29, 2023, 08:36:01 AM...
Quote from: Ken S on September 28, 2023, 04:18:02 AMI modified my SVM-45 and horizontal sleeves of my T4.
This is interesting. Would you let us know more about this?

Do this in a search and you'll find it... basically just replaced all the screws with a socket (grub) screw. 

You cannot view this attachment.

(I think he also ground something off the clamp?)

:)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

aquataur

Haha, I did:
QuoteYour search query did not return any matches.

I don´t understand the prerequisites.

cbwx34

Quote from: aquataur on September 29, 2023, 08:49:16 PMHaha, I did:
QuoteYour search query did not return any matches.

I don´t understand the prerequisites.

Make sure you search the entire forum? (Not just this topic.)  Might try the search from the Home page.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

aquataur