News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"Other Stuff" You Can Do On A Tormek

Started by RickKrung, September 03, 2023, 06:24:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickKrung

The Tormek system is so versatile. I'm a maker/mod-er/fiddler and over the years have done all sorts of things with my Tormek that go beyond sharpening.  Currently, I am making some bamboo fly rods and have come to the stage of treating the snake guide feet, which means taking a supposedly "finished" stamped feet and thinning and fairing them so that when the silk thread is wrapped over to secure them that there is a smooth, aesthetic transition rather than a noticeable bump.  This task it typically done using files and sandpaper and often on some sort of fine grit grinder.

Top: As received, Middle: Flattened with hydraulic press, Bottom: faired using Tormek diamond wheels. 
You cannot view this attachment.

Hydraulic press.  I ground a raduis on the corner of an old HSS cutting tool so there would not be a sharp step at the transition. 

Fairing on diamond wheel

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

RichColvin

---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.