News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Incorrect diameter for diamond discs

Started by Barachiel, August 25, 2023, 01:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barachiel

Hello community,

I have a question. Are the original Tormek diamond wheels really that different in diameter? They should have 250mm.
My new DE-250 is exactly 248.9mm. Should I tell Tormek or how do you see it.

Best regards Tom

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Tom.

I forwarded your question to support. I'll keep you posted

Ken

John_B

I don't think it makes any difference unless you are using one of the calculators. The SG-250 changes diameter with use. Personally I would just use your measured number if you use a calculator.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Barachiel

Hello,
Thank you very much for your answers.
These tolerances are probably very high at Tormik, my leather honing wheel has a diameter of only 213mm instead of 220mm.
Best regards Tom

Sharpco

I found out that DE-250 smaller than DF-250 and DC-250 during sharpening knife. I measured its diameter with a caliper and found that to be true.

John Hancock Sr

Interesting. When I am doing chisels and plane blades I raise the bar one or two marks for the DE which I have found makes the DE polishing extra quick. Mine is a 13 year old T7 which is probably not as precise as a new T8.

Ken S

from support this morning:

Hi Ken.
Yes it will be nice to see you. We meet on Wednesday afternoon. =)

The diameter is all the same on the wheels. They are 249-249,5mm.
To that comes the surface plating and diamond grits.
Normally the largest wheel is the DC-250 and smallest is the DE-250.
But the difference is within the tolerances of the rim.

So there is a tolerance of 1-1,2mm on the diameter.
+-1mm is not notable on the results on your tools.=)

Ken

Barachiel

Hello Ken,
Thank you for your effort and help with this problem
to get an answer. ;D

Best regards Tom

Ken S

Tom,
I am pleased to be able to help.
Included in our Tour of Tormek was the factory where the components are assembled and made ready to ship. In addition to many dial indicators, etc, there is a scale where all of the assembled and boxed Tormek's are weighed. The scale is so precise that the operator can tell if one of the pieces of paper is missing! If a very occasional unit not working to perfection should happen to get past the team, it is certainly not for want of trying. Even then, the buyer has the protection of a world class warranty and support group.
I have had the privilege of getting to know the head of support over the years through many emails (almost entirely information requests rather than due to defective products). We knew each other well enough that our initial meeting was a hug rather than a handshake. In addition to being highly competent, the Tormek people are a friendly, down to earth, huggy bunch.

I have no doubt that my 50th Anniversary T8 will still be working fifty years from now. I am just as sure that my other Tormeks will also still be working then.

Ken