News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Do You Reuse Your Water?

Started by darita, July 05, 2023, 06:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I use coffee filters to "clean" the water after use and keep it in a jar for next day. Do you ever add anything to keep the water from fouling?  By the way, I do use ACC-150.

John Hancock Sr

I don't bother filtering it but I sometimes decant after it has been sitting for a day or two if there is sediment in the bottom. If you are careful you can get most of the water out without the sediment if you leave it for a bit before pouring it out. You don't loose much that way. I have a cocoa container from Costco that is the perfect size. It takes almost 2L of water plus 1/2 a bottle of ACC-150 which does me for quite a while.  The last lot was getting pretty manky and only had about 1/4 left so I threw it out and made up a fresh batch. Not sure how long I had it but it was a LOT of sharpening.

darita

Quote from: JohnHancock on July 07, 2023, 08:03:53 AMThe last lot was getting pretty manky and only had about 1/4 left so I threw it out and made up a fresh batch. Not sure how long I had it but it was a LOT of sharpening.

Thanks for the reply. I actually considered adding a drop of bleach to my mixture to keep it from going bad, but I reconsidered and decided to post here first.  There are probably other things that could be added to do the same thing, however I'm wondering if it is even necessary.  I do know that the solution does smell a bit foul, but I don't know if that's the chemicals and metals or biology that I'm smelling.

John Hancock Sr

Mine did not smell but it was getting fouled by the rust, grease et al form the knives and tools I was sharpening. It still worked fine but was quite discoloured and was not a lot left so decided to throw it out and start again.

RichColvin

Quote from: darita on July 07, 2023, 02:56:13 PM
Quote from: JohnHancock on July 07, 2023, 08:03:53 AMThe last lot was getting pretty manky and only had about 1/4 left so I threw it out and made up a fresh batch. Not sure how long I had it but it was a LOT of sharpening.

Thanks for the reply. I actually considered adding a drop of bleach to my mixture to keep it from going bad, but I reconsidered and decided to post here first.  There are probably other things that could be added to do the same thing, however I'm wondering if it is even necessary.  I do know that the solution does smell a bit foul, but I don't know if that's the chemicals and metals or biology that I'm smelling.

Derek,

I'm not a chemist, but bleach is an oxidizer so I believe it might accelerate rusting.  Someone who is a chemist or metallurgist may correct me though.

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

darita

Quote from: RichColvin on July 12, 2023, 04:08:36 AM
Quote from: darita on July 07, 2023, 02:56:13 PM

Derek,

I'm not a chemist, but bleach is an oxidizer so I believe it might accelerate rusting.  Someone who is a chemist or metallurgist may correct me though.

Rich

Yikes!  I wouldn't want that. 

Ken S

There is an old English idiom, "penny wise and pound foolish". I once calculated the approximate cost of filling the water trough of a T8 with ACC solution at $.60 US. This cost is based on one use. Reusing the solution would reduce this cost.

A set of three or four super abrasive wheels, either diamond or CBN, costs approximately $1000 US. It seems poor economy to me to possibly risk this investment to save a few pennies.

Retrieving the used solution for a second day, or even several days, seems logical. To stretch the solution to the point of needing to add another chemical preservative does not seem logical.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Also - you don't know in what way the bleach may react with the rust inhibitor. I bought A 5L of AC2 non-glycol coolant additive from my loacal automotiver store and it works out about 1/1`0th the price of the Tormek and the ratio is pretty much the same. I *think* that it is pretty much the same stuff but with a dye added to identify it. There are several types and the one I got I think has the same active ingredient.

darita

Thanks for the advice here.  What I'm doing now is, I filter and reuse the water if it's reasonably clean, as many times as it stays that way.  On heavy grinding of course, I only recycle the water once.  So far, it's been working fine with my CBN wheels, so I'll keep up that practice.

Ken S

That sounds like a good balance.

ken

capt rich

I'm a home based sharpener. Dehumidifier dries the water from the trough. Scrape out sludge with 2" putty knife. Save gallon plastic jugs for refills.I put a drop of dawn dish soap once a month.