News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CalCapp vs WM-200

Started by darita, June 22, 2023, 07:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

Am I doing something wrong here?  No matter how many times I enter the numbers, there's a marked difference using CalCapp vs using the WM. The WM shows the projection needs to be lengthened.  My wheel diameter is 250mm, Jig Diameter is 12mm, Projection is 139mm and Angle is 15dps.  I got 78.9mm from top of USB to Top of Stone.

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on June 22, 2023, 07:40:04 PMAm I doing something wrong here?  No matter how many times I enter the numbers, there's a marked difference using CalCapp vs using the WM. The WM shows the projection needs to be lengthened.  My wheel diameter is 250mm, Jig Diameter is 12mm, Projection is 139mm and Angle is 15dps.  I got 78.9mm from top of USB to Top of Stone.

I'm not sure what you mean by "The WM shows the projection needs to be lengthened", but the only way the AngleMaster will match the calculator is if you're laying it on a flat surface (no taper from spine to edge), as well as following all the other instructions given for the AngleMaster.

The other problem may be that you're not measuring the 78.9mm correctly... make sure you're following an imaginary line from the top of the USB thru the center of the wheel when you're measuring.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

darita

I remeasured the distance from top of USB to top of stone, even using the rubber band trick and got the same discrepancy between using the AngleMaster vs using Calcapp measurements. Forgive the angle of the picture, as I was trying to show all the settings on the AngleMaster as well as contact to the stone and blade.

cbwx34

Quote from: darita on June 22, 2023, 08:38:07 PMI remeasured the distance from top of USB to top of stone, even using the rubber band trick and got the same discrepancy between using the AngleMaster vs using Calcapp measurements. Forgive the angle of the picture, as I was trying to show all the settings on the AngleMaster as well as contact to the stone and blade.

The blade is tapered from spine to edge... the AngleMaster doesn't account for that.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

darita

Quote from: cbwx34 on June 22, 2023, 08:43:04 PM
Quote from: darita on June 22, 2023, 08:38:07 PMI remeasured the distance from top of USB to top of stone, even using the rubber band trick and got the same discrepancy between using the AngleMaster vs using Calcapp measurements. Forgive the angle of the picture, as I was trying to show all the settings on the AngleMaster as well as contact to the stone and blade.

The blade is tapered from spine to edge... the AngleMaster doesn't account for that.

Got it.  That makes sense.  From now on, when doing knives, I'll be using CalCapp, since all my knives have some king of primary bevel.  Thanks.