News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Water In My DF250?

Started by darita, June 16, 2023, 11:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

So how do I clear the water out of my DF250? 

Ken S

Derek,

I have been closely following the forum since long before diamond wheels were introduced. This is the first I have read or heard about water in a Tormek diamond wheel.  I suggest you email support (support@tormek.se).

Ken

darita

I asked the question on FB as well and got a reply from Wolfgang Hess.  He said that the plastic cover is there to help deaden sound.  He also said water that gets into the wheel will drain out and ACC150 leaves a protective coating on the inside that will keep it from rusting.  The translation was a bit off, but that's what I gleaned from the reply.  You can read it for yourself on Tormek Users.
I'm still a bit concerned as I don't have 100% confidence in the ACC150 or maybe it's my rather haphazard measurement of the fluid.  At any rate, I'm very tempted to remove the cover so I can wipe the inner wheel after every use.   

RickKrung

If that is your concern about it, put your effort into improving your ACC measurement methods rather than trying to remove the plastic cover... My reasoning... not using the correct concentration of ACC may put the working/important part of the diamond wheel at risk which is far more serious than the annoyance of a bit of water draining from the wheel. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I use a simple and organized method of measuring ACC. start with a kitchen graduate of around 500 ml. Fillit with water. With your diamond wheel mounted on your T8, pour 100 ml into your water trough. Turn on your Tormek and add more water until the water until it flows consistently over the top of the grinding wheel.

Subtract the amount of water in the trough. That is your amount of water. You can measure this in a graduate or a plastic jar with the amount drawn on the side of the jar.

Use a child's liquid measure calibrated in 1ml increments for the ACC. If you use 125 ml of water, add 5 ml of ACC 1:25 dilution). Precise measurement of ACC solution does not have to be tedious or complicated.

Ken

darita

Quote from: RickKrung on June 18, 2023, 04:27:33 PMIf that is your concern about it, put your effort into improving your ACC measurement methods rather than trying to remove the plastic cover... My reasoning... not using the correct concentration of ACC may put the working/important part of the diamond wheel at risk which is far more serious than the annoyance of a bit of water draining from the wheel. 

Rick
Thanks for the advice Rick. I'll try that.

3D Anvil

I wouldn't imagine that water *inside* the wheel would do any damage, since it's made of aluminum.

darita

Quote from: 3D Anvil on June 22, 2023, 06:39:28 PMI wouldn't imagine that water *inside* the wheel would do any damage, since it's made of aluminum.

I wondered about that, so I put a magnet to the wheel and it stuck.

cbwx34

Quote from: 3D Anvil on June 22, 2023, 06:39:28 PMI wouldn't imagine that water *inside* the wheel would do any damage, since it's made of aluminum.

Their website says it's a steel frame...

Quote from: https://tormek.com/en/knowledge/the-tormek-way-of-sharpening/sharpening-with-diamond-grinding-wheelsTHE STRUCTURE OF THE DIAMOND GRINDING WHEELS
Tormek's Diamond Wheels are constructed with a precision machined steel frame. The frame is coated with a single layer of diamond grit that is electrolytically anchored with nickel.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

HÃ¥kan Persson discusses the choice to use a steel core in this online class from seven to ten minutes:

https://youtu.be/38c95D6z5D8

Ken