News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Longer shaft to accommodate a 5cm wide stone (at the bore) on a T8?

Started by LeU, June 14, 2023, 08:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeU

Hi,

Finally I managed to find a natural Gotland stone barely used, close to 250mm in diameter and 50mm wide all the way (without the recess of the "modern" Tormek stones at the bore).

I tried it on a T8 and it fits, however the shaft is now flush with the surface of the stone, and there is no thread left for the EzyLock.

Is there a way to find a longer shaft?

What other solution would you suggest?

LeU

Ken S

LeU,

Lucky find! thoughts: Email support (support@support.se) I have worked with support many times. Support is a real treasure, not only for present models, but also for the earliest Tormeks. If anyone can locate an ancient shaft, it is support.

There is a thick spacer washer between the inside of your Tormek and the grinding wheel. If you remove it and substitute a (size 12mm ID) fender washer, you may be able to gain enough length to tighten the nut.

Next option is a local machine shop. A carbide end mill might be able to excavate enough to screw down the shaft and nut. (The original sandstone wheels are soft and should mill easily.)

If all else fails, the machine shop can make a new shaft for you.

Keep us posted.

Ken

LeU

In the end I did not find any local machine shop willing to make the modifications, so I ended up cutting myself 2 large "washers" from a 2mm thick aluminum plate (old computer case) with a ~45mm hole saw cutting drill bit, and that works perfectly.

The stone has a very small wobble, so next I have to reshape the bore to 12mm (with epoxy?) since the original hole is ~20mm and the two bits of plastic reducers do not hold the stone firmly enough

Slow progress, but I will get there

micha

I'd rather think about some tubing or pipe to reduce the bore. Might be easier than re-drilling the hole into that epoxy perfectly rectangular and centered, although that can be done with the appropriate machines, of course.

Ken S

At the risk of being boringly practical, I think the logical solution is a replacement (if needed) SG-250 and a good stone grader.

OR, I don't see what is so complicated about making a replacement straight shaft in stainless steel. Have standard 12 mm threads cut into both ends, just like the original shafts had. You don't need EZYlock with this wheel.

Ken