News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

pinking shears angle greater then 75 degree

Started by bnlsrv, February 22, 2004, 02:13:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnlsrv

I just got the tormek system. I noticed on my wifes pinking shears that it's at an angle greater then the 75 degree on the angle gauge. Now what do I do to set this up for sharpening? ???
Bill in the midwest.

Jeff Farris

Paint the bevel of the pinking shear with the marker in the Break-in & Maintenance kit (or any waterproof marker).  Mount the shear in the blade clamp. Rest the blade clamp against the support plate and adjust the angle of the support plate until it visually appears that the bevel is resting on the stone.  Turn the stone by hand and inspect the scratches.  Adjust if the bevel is too much toward the heel or toe until the bevel is resting on the stone.  Grind away.  For pinking shears, I would use the 220 grit, followed by the 1000 grit finish.  The first step should be used three or four strokes across the stone.  Inspect frequently and continue grinding until a fresh, sharp, continuous bevel is established.  Then grade the grindstone and refine the scratch pattern in the bevel.
Jeff Farris