News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

To Trim or Not To Trim?

Started by darita, May 31, 2023, 11:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

Every time I see this ridge on the drive wheel, it bugs me.  Will it hurt or help anything If I do trim it?

John Hancock Sr

Leave it. It dies not harm and trimming may damage the rubber if you slip.

Ken S

I could not remember if my rubber drive wheel had a center ridge line or not. I removed my honing wheel. There is indeed a small center ridge line. It hasn't done any harm in thirteen years. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ken

darita

OK...well I just saw a video ad for Tormek showing different operations and one shot showed the sanding of the rubber drive wheel under the leather strop.  The ad is for Oatwina Shop on FB.  What's that for?

Ken S

I just searched facebook for oatwina and found nothing. Perhaps I am missing something.

I suspect the middle line is just where the two halves of the mold meet. I think you will find that on every Tormek and that it does no harm. I would ignore it. If it bothers you, carefully sand it off. Worst case scenario, you might have to purchase a replacement drive wheel, which will probably have the same line.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

Don't trim. As Ken says it is an artifact of the molding process. It is harmless. You only need to sand if the rubber becomes glazed over use and begins to slip. I bought a quite old machine and the wheel had become quite glazed and was slipping under load. I use a non-slip belt compound from our local automotive store since sanding did not quite do the job.

darita

Thank you for your replies.  I'll take your advice and leave it as is.  I happen to have an older SG 2000 with a glazed over wheel, so I'll take your advice.  Thanks again.

Ken S

Darita, (just for future reference):

My first Tormek was the T7 I purchased in 2009. I have always been something of a Tormek junkie. Then the EZYlock and the Advanced Water Trough were introduced, I purchased them as spare parts and upgraded my machine. I also purchased the redesigned rubber drive wheel. Occasionally the older, plastic drive wheels cracked. (mostly due to not being properly seated in the three plastic alignment pins). My older drive wheel was fine. i compared the two models. The new design is made of zinc. It looks solid and robust, a real upgrade.

If you decide to replace your drive wheel someday, the redesign is not just "like for like"; it is a substantial upgrade. Also, Tormek holds a patent for an improved rubberlike material. I don't know anything more about it or when it was introduced. It is one of the quiet innovations Tormek has incorporated over the years.

Here is a link to the redesigned rubber drive wheel:

https://tormek.com/en/products/spare-parts/tormek-original-parts/r-23-drive-wheel-with-rubber-ring-t-8

Ken