News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Polished edge for knives

Started by tgbto, May 31, 2023, 06:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

When I began sharpening, I had that conception that a polished edge was better. It also looked damn cool.

Before I bought my T-8, I had #4000 Chosera benchstones, then #6000 EP stones for stick&rod sharpening systems, etc. etc. And I purchased the SJ with my Tormek, a few days before I saw many posts on this forum urging to learn the SG first and decide later.

I still think a polished edge looks better. Yet what I now aim for when sharpening is more of a compromise between sharpness, edge retention, and sharpening time. I consider the conclusions of the late Wootz - namely that edge retention depends mostly on edge angle and steel, not on initial sharpness - a valid basis.

Wootz also recommended to polish the sides - but not the apex - to increase initial sharpness, which requires time and effort, but mostly to obtain a very low initial BESS score.

My experience is that for multipurpose knives (chef/gyutos/santokus) or vegetable knives (nakiri or paring knives), a knife that has been polished to the apex feels less sharp earlier than one that hasn't. For meat-only knives, that don't hit bones, I feel this is less true.

Quite frankly, aside from the neat looks of a SJ-polished edge, I see little interest for kitchen knives sharpening. Quite the opposite. My standard process is ungraded SG and PA-70 honing compound on the leather honing wheel, with the FVB. My BESS scores have dropped consistently over the last two years, and now I hit 70-85 BESS on Global or similar knives, @15dps. And I feel that I have to sharpen them less often.

So I guess my question to you guys would be: do you have similar experiences ? Is there something I might be doing wrong when going SG graded fine -> SJ -> honing wheel ?

3D Anvil

I went through a similar process.  When I started to get serious about knife sharpening I was using a fixed-angle system and I was really into mirror edges. 

I guess sushi chefs prefer a very refined edge because they want the cleanest cut possible, but for most other purposes I think a toothier edge is preferable.  Also, even when I use a 400 grit wheel as my final, the bevel eventually becomes polished through repeated stropping.

John Hancock Sr

Interestingly I was watching a video last night from a Japanese master craftsman who was talking about sharpening. He said that it was a mistake to take a knife to 10,000 or higher since it - as you say - removes the tooth from the knife and makes cutting thinks with an outer skin such as tomatoes harder.