News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Bevel Angle Changes

Started by darita, May 26, 2023, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

When sharpening chisels, I'm noticing that as I progress through the wheels 160, 400, 1000 and 1200, the bevel angle changes as the projection changes.  I understand that grinding past the point of a burr only waists metal, however the angle change still occurs.  Should I be readjusting for my original angle or just go on through my projection?  Any other advice would be appreciated.

Ken S

How much metal do you normally have to remove when sharpening your chisels? I would guess that most chisels, especially those you might sharpen for other people, require more than just "sharpening".

One of the more recent Tormek online classes shows a damaged chisel. It is held  Flat side up under the support bar. The support bar is in the horizontal sleeves (edge trailing). The support bar is placed very close to the grinding wheel. "Eyeball" the chisel into a 90° angle. Grind away the damaged edge.

With the damaged edge gone, regrind the bevel. The flat will form the apex of the new edge.

The under support bar set up is well demonstrated in the online class. It is well worth your while to look it up. I-don't exactly remember; however, I would start with the episode centering around Wolfgang. If you find it, please post the episode and time. I will do the same if I find it.

(In hindsight, I wish I had kept better track of episodes and times. 
20-20 hindsight.

Ken