News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can FVB Be Used Like This?

Started by darita, May 25, 2023, 06:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darita

I find that using the FVB for trailing edge grinding allows me to grind without water spilling out all over the place.  Is this OK?

Ken S

Is this configuration of the FVB OK? Looking at your photo, it appears OK.

What puzzles me is your comment about "water spilling out all over the place".
In my early days with my Tormek (around ten years ago), I spent the day at the Hartville Hardware Giant Tool Sale. Among the participating vendors was Tormek. I planned to spend the entire day hanging around the Tormek demonstrators. It was an excellent learning experience.

Two Tormek's were set up on a Sjoberg workbench. The only protection for the workbench was a single layer of heavy cardboard. I was concerned about water spillage. I really lucked out. I arrived early, before the crowd. Tormek had hired Steve Bottorff to cover the morning. Steve is a real deal Tormek expert and instructor. He had both Tormeks setup and running. They were essentially running continually throughout the day. I monitored water spillage throughout the day. I only saw a very few drops all day. I attributed these to spillage when the Tormeks were rotated. No rotating bases or rubber work mats were used.
Had they been used, I do not believe any water would have spilled onto the workbench.

I would recommend purchasing both the Tormek rubber work mat and the rotating base before purchasing any extra grinding wheels. You will use these two accessories during every sharpening session.

I believe excess spillage is a result of poor technique. I also believe that we can do anything Tormek experts do if we are willing to work diligently and learn the craft.

We have many guest readers and new members who have never used or perhaps even seen a Tormek. While I encourage our members to share their difficulties, I hope members will be careful to avoid posting in a way which implies that these difficulties are the result of poor design or manufacturing by Tormek. Like any good product, Tormek is always innovating. When I bought my T7 in 2009, I wanted to acquire all the jigs and accessories. I did that over a period of a couple years. Although they worked well, the latest versions are better, some being improved enough to warrant upgrading to the new version. Tormek is always innovating.

Darita, I do not mean to be critical of you. Water spillage is a common problem. It is also a solvable problem. Keep innovating!

ken

darita

Ken, here's the setup I was using for trailing edge grinding when I had spillage on the mat and over onto the floor.  I tried using the other USB mounts, however using your method of the TTS100 and consistent projection didn't work as the grind angle changed, as I recall.

Ken S

Darita,

I highly recommend acquiring a couple reasonable quality learning chisels around 1/2" to 3/4" width. Teach yourself to be able to sharpen chisels grinding into the edge.

I am not suggesting that you switch, only that you master the traditional method before deciding.

Keep us posted.

Ken

tgbto

The FVB can clearly be used like this, might even be yet another reason to replace or complete the current (seldom used ?) HUSB holes with another set of USB.

I can see why spillage would happen in the vertical/edge trailing setup, though I think the standard practice would be to sharpen with the horizontal USB. Agreed, you would not have the same body/arms position.

Could it also be that the wheel is too deep in the water trough ? The only spillage I could not get rid of is that black gunk that sprouts from the honing wheel when deburring...

darita

Quote from: tgbto on May 31, 2023, 11:54:58 AMThe FVB can clearly be used like this, might even be yet another reason to replace or complete the current (seldom used ?) HUSB holes with another set of USB.

I can see why spillage would happen in the vertical/edge trailing setup, though I think the standard practice would be to sharpen with the horizontal USB. Agreed, you would not have the same body/arms position.

Could it also be that the wheel is too deep in the water trough ? The only spillage I could not get rid of is that black gunk that sprouts from the honing wheel when deburring...

Well, it turns out you're right!  I was going a bit too deep in the trough, which put a little too much water on the wheel, which resulted in the spillage.  When I just touch the water with the wheel surface, I got much less spillage if any.  User error lesson learned.  Thanks for the help.