News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

FVB calculation for CalCapp Software

Started by austijp, May 29, 2023, 03:50:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austijp

Hello all,

I'm feeling a little inept for asking this question but I don't think I'm clear on how to use the CalCapp FVB software, today I measure to the stone but I would think it would be much easier to measure to the FVB.  Could someone post the process for gathering and entering the data.  To put this into perspective, I recently had brain surgery so my short term critical thinking is lagging at this time, it will hopefully improve as I recover.  I'm discouraged as I have always been a pretty techy guy, I have a background in tool and die work where I had to use trig daily but now it just overwhelms me.

Regards,
Jeff

Sir Amwell

Hi. This is surely a question for CB to answer. I think he must be busy as he's normally fairly active on the forum.
Your question is not entirely clear. For USB to stone measurements simply input the stone diameter and jig projection into the calcapp and it will give you an answer, will work for FVB or normal edge leading grinding.
If I'm right in concluding that you want a USB to casing measurement then calcapp can now provide that but I think you will have to input some constants measurements for that. Straight forward for grinding but maybe a bit more complex for the FVB, as depending on the FVB you have you may have to take some accurate measurements. I'm sure calcapp should guide you through this. If it doesn't then I'm sure CB will help you with it.
Sorry to hear you having cognitive troubles. Hope it gets better soon. Good luck!

cbwx34

Quote from: austijp on May 29, 2023, 03:50:04 PMHello all,

I'm feeling a little inept for asking this question but I don't think I'm clear on how to use the CalCapp FVB software, today I measure to the stone but I would think it would be much easier to measure to the FVB.  Could someone post the process for gathering and entering the data.

If you're asking how to measure and enter the data for the Machine Variable Constants, this thread shows how I take the horizontal measurement.  (Measure from the outside of the USB to the outside of the shaft and subtract 12mm.)

For the vertical measurement, I'd use the method gbeaklr used for the vertical in post #6.  (Measure from the bottom of the ruler to the top of the shaft and add 6mm.)  These values are entered in the "Honing (FVB) Variables" section of the calculator.  If you need the Constants for the Sharpening side, they're in the app.

(I'm not sure if this is what you're asking for?)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)