News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Can the honing paste go bad? Does it have an expiry date?

Started by glowpipe, May 16, 2023, 10:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glowpipe

Hello friends!

I am having some issues getting my new La-120 honing wheels up and running. I used a liberal amount of white mineral oil and then applied the honing compound. But whatever I do, the honing compound seems to only sit on top of the two wheels and dry out really quickly. So the next time I use the wheels and put my tool on the wheel, I just get white dust from the wheel, and the wheel is completely dry.

I have never had these issues on the regular honing wheel. But then I used the oil that came with my machine and a fresh tube of compound. Now I'm using the old tube of compound and the new oil. I am guessing maybe the oil won't penetrate the leather, or the honing compound might have dried out, or both.

Anyone got a suggestion for this issue? May it just be that I've used too little oil?

tgbto

Hi!

If the honing paste was dry in the tube, you'd know it because you wouldn't be able to apply it, and instead of coming out moist and even it would feel like drier crumbs.

If that's not the case, my guess would be maybe you put too much honing compound onto the wheel. In my experience, the smallest amount is enough, and by the time you're done honing your tool it should be all dark from steel residue. No traces of white left.

glowpipe

Quote from: tgbto on May 17, 2023, 08:40:01 AMHi!

If the honing paste was dry in the tube, you'd know it because you wouldn't be able to apply it, and instead of coming out moist and even it would feel like drier crumbs.

If that's not the case, my guess would be maybe you put too much honing compound onto the wheel. In my experience, the smallest amount is enough, and by the time you're done honing your tool it should be all dark from steel residue. No traces of white left.

It was not dry out of the tube, so thats not it then.

Next time ill scrape it of again with the side of a chisel and try again. And apply a thin coating around the entire wheel when the machine is off, instead of trying to squeeze it on while the wheel is spinning.

tgbto

Yup, clearly. It is easier to spread with the end of the tube on the standard leather wheel. But even then I always end up rubbing the excess paste off my knives back onto the wheel with my bare finger...

So yes, definitely with the wheel stopped on such narrow wheels.