News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

FVB thoughts

Started by Ken S, May 02, 2023, 03:41:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I have noticed a lot of questions about the FVB (Frontal Vertical Base). The FVB converts the horizontal (grinding away) to vertical. This is only used with honing. Unfortunately, the best source of information, the inventor (Vadim Kriachuk of Knife Grinders) passed away. I will try to give a fair description of the FVB.

Knife honing can be done on the Tormek in two ways. The method preferred by Tormek is freehand. Using this method, no FVB is required. The second method, favored by Vadim Kriachuk and others, uses a knife jig the support bar, and an FVB.  Both methods use grinding away.

Raising the support bar allows the plastic locking knob of the knife jigs to clear the two vertical legs of the support bar. (The two plastic locking knobs of the horizontal sleeves also require raising the knife jig.) Substituting headless socket set screws (also called grub screws) can do the same thing as a FVB, although, the FVB does this  much more easily.

Whenever there is a choice of two methods, I recommend trying to master both before deciding between them. I recommend learning both freehand and jig held honing.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 02, 2023, 03:41:14 AM...
Raising the support bar allows the plastic locking knob of the knife jigs to clear the two vertical legs of the support bar. (The two plastic locking knobs of the horizontal sleeves also require raising the knife jig.) Substituting headless socket set screws (also called grub screws) can do the same thing as a FVB, although, the FVB does this  much more easily.

I would add that the FVB does a bit more, for example, it puts you in a better position for honing, and allows you to duplicate the sharpening side method a bit easier.  (Think muscle memory.)  Easier to see what you're doing too. 
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

tgbto

Quote from: cbwx34 on May 02, 2023, 04:12:50 AMI would add that the FVB does a bit more, for example, it puts you in a better position for honing, and allows you to duplicate the sharpening side method a bit easier.  (Think muscle memory.)  Easier to see what you're doing too. 

I concur 100%. In my opinion the single yet decisive advantage of the FVB is - at it names suggest - to allow sharpening or honing from a *vertical* position. The horizontal position is probably suitable for tools whose handle is perpendicular to the edge, but very awkward for knives.

Quote from: Ken S on May 02, 2023, 03:41:14 AMWhenever there is a choice of two methods, I recommend trying to master both before deciding between them. I recommend learning both freehand and jig held honing.

I'd agree if there were pros and cons for both. The only pro I see to handheld honing is not requiring a FVB. But once you have one in order to try both methods, well...

I also think the same argument could be made for sharpening... yet if there is one thing that seems at the heart of the Tormek method, it is controlled angle.

Perra

It is also very practical when or if you want to use extra accessories such as lighting, laser lines, etc. I always have an Led lamp on a brace that sits in my FVB and illuminates the grinding point. Age requires good lighting, not Tormek's age, of course. One way I adopted is that I use support with CW-220 and freehand with LA-220 due to the slightly more aggressive compound disc CW. Grind with diamond, first honing CW and end with LA.

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on May 02, 2023, 03:41:14 AM...
Knife honing can be done on the Tormek in two ways. The method preferred by Tormek is freehand. Using this method, no FVB is required. The second method, favored by Vadim Kriachuk and others, uses a knife jig the support bar, and an FVB.  Both methods use grinding away.

I had forgotten, even Tormek sees some value...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aw4vJSUPXmk&t=1942s

tgbto

Yes, the "spaceship setup" (costing about as much as a FVB and more wiggly-fiddly).

Maybe a more accurate phrasing would be "Freehand honing is the only honing method currently supported by Tormek with Tormek hardware". In the same way that the AngleMaster is the only angle-setting method currently supported by Tormek with Tormek hardware.

3D Anvil

I'd say it's not just for honing, but also for sharpening if you want to sharpen edge trailing instead of edge leading.  Seems very much like something Tormek should produce themselves, rather than relying on third-party suppliers. 

Ken S

Knives are the only tools (that I can think of) which would require the FVB when being sharpened edge trailing. Turning tools, carving tools, and chisels use only enough lateral movement to wear the grinding wheel evenly. The plastic locking knob does not contact the vertical legs of the support bar.

I do not believe that Tormek ever intended to rely on third party providors for the FVB. Right or wrong, with traditional Tormek technique, an FVB is not necessary. Also, since Vadim introduced it and sold it, I do not believe Tormek could secure a patent for it. (I doubt that Vadim ever patented it.) Like most businesses, Tormek wants the legal protection of patents for its products.

Ken

tgbto

It may be a bit of a shortcut to say they can't sell it if they have no patent for it. They might even be selling machines where a round sharpening stone rotates around a shaft... the patent for which might be unearthed if we ever find the site of the Halikarnassos patent office.

And most probably, they could probably patent a version with a thingamajig that makes it a bit different if they felt like it.

As is often the case with patents, their validity is only proved by successful litigation. Same thing for the yet-to-be-sold knife angle setter... it is probably not patentable (at least not here in France) as a "craftsman" such as Perra thought of it, therefore it lacks the "inventive step" requirement. But it gives them a reasonable level of assurance that most people will not want to have to deal with Tormek lawyers in court to challenge their patent.

Now as before, my bet is on the fact that the horizontal USB support will be replaced or associated with a second vertical one in the T5/T9, hence no third  party involved. I'd love to see a revamped T-4000 with the USB support along the shaft axis, but alas...

austijp

I'm  brand new to both the Tormek and this Forum but I quickly decided I wanted/needed a FVB.  Fortunately my background is Machining/tool and die maker.  I machined a FVB and for a novice it was transformational.  I use the Calcapp calculator for both the stone and honing wheel, all these tools have made it much easier for me to attain a quality edge.  I'm 100% in favor of the tool, some might call it a crutch but anything that helps me build consistency into the process is a great tool.

HedgeStar

Quote from: austijp on May 04, 2023, 04:40:09 AMI'm  brand new to both the Tormek and this Forum but I quickly decided I wanted/needed a FVB.  Fortunately my background is Machining/tool and die maker.  I machined a FVB and for a novice it was transformational.  I use the Calcapp calculator for both the stone and honing wheel, all these tools have made it much easier for me to attain a quality edge.  I'm 100% in favor of the tool, some might call it a crutch but anything that helps me build consistency into the process is a great tool.

Do you have a photo of it and do you make them for other folk?

cbwx34

Quote from: HedgeStar on June 07, 2023, 09:53:02 PMDo you have a photo of it and do you make them for other folk?

ColvinTools (RichColvin in this forum) makes an FVB.

dmahany

I just made an FVB with a few simple  parts from McMaster Carr.  I want to try it for trailing edge cleaver sharpening.  The parts cost approx $85 USD all included.
You cannot view this attachment.

HedgeStar

Very good Sir, thanks for sharing the pictures