News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Uneven bevel scratch Pattern

Started by Dontheo55, April 23, 2023, 04:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dontheo55

I am new to knife sharpening with the knife jig and it slipped when I got done to the heel of the blade on one side.  So I have a nice even bevel along the edge until I get to the heel.  At the heel, the scratch pattern is twice as wide.  I corrected the bevel, and tightened up the support, and the bevel looks great.  Except at the heal where I have the wider pattern.

I figured this can be sanded out but wanted to know if there are any tricks to use.  The wheel I started with was a 180 grit CBN.  I finished up with a 1000 CBN but still have these 180 scratches above the 1000 bevel. It's my own knife but it looks so bad.

Thanks

Ken S

For many frustrating years, I could not understand why Tormek did not include a true coarse wheel in its lineup. I even devised a workaround. Then I finally realized that Tormek was concerned about the extra steel removable with the deeper scratch pattern. This is an excellent learning situation we can all benefit from.
Six hundred grit is a good starting point for most knives.

Ken

tgbto

I have never used such a coarse wheel but you're not stating what your progression was between 180 and 1000 grit. My gut feeling would be that 180 + 1000 will indeed leave scratch marks if you don't go at least one extra step in between like 320/600, and you probably need both.

I think I remember reading somewhere that with metal you should never more than double the grit in between steps.

You also mention having the 180 scratches "above" the 1000 bevel, which could indicate your 180 wheel has a slightly bigger radius than the 1000 wheel, or that you were sharpening at a slightly higher angle with the 1000 wheel.

Just my .02

3D Anvil

As I read it, the reason for the unwanted scratches is that the knife moved in the jig, so you have grind marks on the flat of the blade?  I'm sure they're pretty deep, with that 180 wheel.  The only way I know of to get rid of them is to refinish the flats, which could involve using a progression of whet stones, sandpaper, or both.  Unfortunately it's quite a lengthy process. 

As far as the 180 wheel goes, it's phenomenal for reprofiling or grinding out bigger chips, but that's the only thing I use it for.  When I do use it I would go to the 400 before hitting the 1000, or you could use the SG wheel if you have one.