News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Yet another use for the BGM-100

Started by tgbto, March 27, 2023, 08:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgbto

Here's my setup for quick reprofiling of heavily damaged knives, or for convexing. The BGM-100 + FVB combo is admittedly more expensive than the cheap, small belt sander, but it does the job. For large knives, I use the larger USB.

You cannot view this attachment.

Cheers,

Nick.

3D Anvil

Great idea!  I use the same machine with leather belts for deburring and honing.  That system depends on one's ability to hold a blade perfectly level, which is not so easy if you're trying to hold an angle with less than 1° variation. 

tgbto

Definitely, I'd even say that whatever slack is in the belt will make for a deviation of more than 1°, especially with the non-stiff belts. However this setup allows for greatly increasing the consistency compared to using it handheld: the edge remains more easily in the same place on the belt, and according to an eyeballed measurement with an anglecube the jig shaft remains horizontal well within a degree.

Aside from very specific cases (blades that need to be convexed, or if I have like 5 minutes to get a blunt piece of steel to 15-18 dps around 100 BESS), I set the angle @-1.5dps compared to my target edgle angle and finish the knives up on the Tormek using the standard SG + leather honing wheel with PA-70 routine. I quickly get a burr on the Tormek this way, and the microscope does not show a significant secondary bevel, so the apex angle is about right.

And my favorite option for honing with this setup is ... the leather belt with PA-70. I found that with the micro-mesh belts on standard stainless steel knives I would end up with a foil edge that gets folded from side to side and not really cut. The fabric belts with PA-70 or diamond spray work quite well too.

The next step is to add a vacuum table because there quite a lot of metal dust flying around, especially when doing heavy-duty reshaping (repairing broken blades, heavy thinning, etc.).

3D Anvil

I also use PA-70 with leather belts.  Perfect for kitchen knives and low-carbide folding knives.  For wear-resistant steels I start with a leather belt using 2 micron or .5 micron diamond and then finish with PA-70.  But I almost always sharpen on the Tormek first.  With CBN or diamond wheels I find it to be just as fast as the Worksharp, with better results and no chance of overheating.

Sir Amwell

Interesting.
Like 3D, for low end knives I generally set an edge on the T8 and hone on leather with Tormek paste on the WSKO. It's always a bit of guess work to find correct honing angle on the belt, especially taking into consideration the taper of the blade.
I guess this set up could take out some guesswork but I'm wondering how you set the angle here?
Are you setting the belt at a particular angle and ensuring the usb is set so that the tip of the blade is hitting perpendicular?
Or somehow using a calculator?
Some clarification would be handy. Thanks.

3D Anvil

I recently started using a Sharpie to confirm the right honing angle with the WS, which was illuminating.  Seems I'm pretty good at nailing it on my right side, but what *looks* to be horizontal on my left side is actually a degree or two too shallow.  Now that I know that I can compensate and I get a more consistent result.  Lord knows why I waited so long to try this.   :-\

tgbto

Quote from: Sir Amwell on March 28, 2023, 12:25:40 AMInteresting.
Like 3D, for low end knives I generally set an edge on the T8 and hone on leather with Tormek paste on the WSKO. It's always a bit of guess work to find correct honing angle on the belt, especially taking into consideration the taper of the blade.
I guess this set up could take out some guesswork but I'm wondering how you set the angle here?
Are you setting the belt at a particular angle and ensuring the usb is set so that the tip of the blade is hitting perpendicular?
Or somehow using a calculator?
Some clarification would be handy. Thanks.

I use an anglecube twice, referenced to the horizontal surface you're supposed to lay your knife on :
- once to set the angle between horizontal and the pulleys (the angle indicated by the dial is rather consistent with the measure). I set it @-1.5 target dps because that's what seems to compensate for the slack in the stiff belts, and I don't mind the increased angle for honing on more flexible belts
- a second time, after I've set up the blade in the jig and the position where it will contact the belt. I put it on the blade if I can (and average the top and bottom measurements), or on a block on the shaft of the jig if I can't. The goal being to have a 0° angle this time.

Quote from: 3D Anvil on March 28, 2023, 12:59:06 AMI recently started using a Sharpie to confirm the right honing angle with the WS, which was illuminating.  Seems I'm pretty good at nailing it on my right side, but what *looks* to be horizontal on my left side is actually a degree or two too shallow.  Now that I know that I can compensate and I get a more consistent result.  Lord knows why I waited so long to try this.   :-\

I found - using a sharpie as well - that I had both the tendency you describe and a proneness to twisting my wrist slightly on long, curved blades. The BGM/FVB/USB setup allows me to consistently get sub-100 BESS which didn't happen before.

cbwx34

FWIW, someone made a 3D file of a horizontal surface that you can mount right next to the belt...

You cannot view this attachment.

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/tool/work-sharp-ken-onion-blade-grinder-riser-2-5-with-slider-thinner-potranko28-2
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

3D Anvil

The tool rest idea is pretty clever.  I need to get me a 3D printer.