News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

a glimpse into the future?

Started by Ken S, March 29, 2023, 08:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Stovepipe

I noticed on the Tormek products page the T-8 Black, is this what's being hyped tomorrow? 50th Year anniversary edition.

Stovepipe

I noticed it's already been listed on another post...........no need to respond. :)

RichColvin

I think it is notable what was not presented.  

If there were a replacement for the T-8 coming in the near future, then surely the 50th anniversary system would have been based on that.  And maybe even called the T-50 or something else fun like that.

And further, if there were any enhancements planned for the T-8, wouldn't those also have been built into the 50th anniversary system?  (Samuel Stenhem said there are no changes from the T-8.)

It is easy to think of add-ons (drip trays) or jigs (a goniostat would be great) that could be added to the line-up.   I like the improvements I see in my T-8 over my T-2000, but I rack my brain to think of improvements to the T-8 which would make it a better value, especially for the cost.

So this tells me that the T-8 is such a well-designed machine that it is planned to be around for quite a while.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

Rich,

I think we all over interpreted the teaser video. Looking back, Steve Bottorff showed me his 40th anniversary Tormek. The 40th model is mechanically identical with the standard issue T7s of the time. It had the EZYlock, the Advanced Water Trough, and the latest power switch incorporated into the T7 over the years. The finish was different than the standard issue T7 as was the color. In other words, the 40th was cosmetically different but mechanically the same as the regular T7, just like Samuel Stenhem described the 50th and the regular T8.

Tormek first included the machined, cast zinc top into the T4 in 2014. This major upgrade in precision and heat control was later incorporated into the T8. In my opinion, the machined zinc top is the main improvement of the T8 over the T7. I believe the T8 will eventually be superceded, but not for a while. The add ons mentioned are desirable, as is the new square, but do not require a change of model.

Ken

tgbto

Quote from: RichColvin on April 05, 2023, 04:25:18 PMI like the improvements I see in my T-8 over my T-2000, but I rack my brain to think of improvements to the T-8 which would make it a better value, especially for the cost.

Holes for the USB in vertical position for honing ?

cbwx34

I'm still going with a revised T-4000 making a comeback.  :D

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

CB and TGB,

Interesting thoughts. Both ideas have merit, although I don't see Tormek using either of them. The T4000 was the restaurant machine of an earlier age. The T2 suits that need better today. It is designed for diamond wheels and has the newer, simpler to use knife jig.

A case can be made for vertical honing sleeves. However, it would require retooling the zinc housing top. Also, vertical sleeves would not have lhorizontal adjustability like the FVB. These vertical honing sleeves would only be used with knives and only when jig honing them, which is not the preferred Tormek method. (I will restrain myself and not mention that Tormek calls the T8 and T4 "The Woodworking Machines"  :)  )

The FVB is a useful accessory. I think the present arrangement, a third party "bolt on" solution works well in a cost effective, practical way.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on April 06, 2023, 04:46:26 PMCB and TGB,

Interesting thoughts. Both ideas have merit, although I don't see Tormek using either of them. The T4000 was the restaurant machine of an earlier age. The T2 suits that need better today. It is designed for diamond wheels and has the newer, simpler to use knife jig.

Not really... even Tormek has stated the T2 isn't a "full" knife sharpener.  More in the maintenance category.

Wider gap between wheels, two vertical supports, etc... there's a lot to the T4000 that separates it from the others, and makes it more suitable for knife sharpening.

You could even put a set of ceramic deburing wheels in the space in the middle (like on some of the FDick machines)... imagine that...  ???  :P
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Good points, CB; however, anyone wanting a T4000 should follow the used market. I seriously doubt that Tormek will ever reissue or update the T4000. The market is too small.

Ken

tgbto

Quote from: Ken S on April 06, 2023, 10:16:04 PMThe market is too small.

Quote from: Ken S on April 06, 2023, 04:46:26 PMI will restrain myself and not mention that Tormek calls the T8 and T4 "The Woodworking Machines"  :) 

Knives sharpening clearly is an afterthought on the Tormek, however if we take a look at the interest it generates, like I don't know, posts on the Tormek Forum :

SectionPostsTopics
Wood Turning1474266
Wood Carving28852
Planer Blade Sharpening38176
Hand Tool Woodworking1555182
Drill Bit Sharpening61066
Total Wood-related4308642
Knife Sharpening9714768
Scissors Sharpening26139

Or in the live sharpening classes on Tormek's youtube channel :
General purpose videos : 14
Woodworking tools sharpening videos (including axes & scissors) : 9
Knives sharpening videos : 8

I think even Tormek realized the knives sharpening market potential.

Quote from: Ken S on April 06, 2023, 04:46:26 PMHowever, it would require retooling the zinc housing top. Also, vertical sleeves would not have lhorizontal adjustability like the FVB.

Yes, like they retooled the top between T-7 and T-8. And I don't know for you guys, but I personally never move the FVB from its closest-to-casing position. I use the adjustability of the FVB only with my cheap adaptation for my even cheaper belt sander.

The T-4000 checks a lot of boxes AFAIAC.

Ken S

I must apologize. My comment about "the woodworking machines" was intended as a good natured joke. I did not intend to strike such a sensitive nerve. I have always thought of the Tormek as a multifunction sharpening system. I was surprised when I heard the T8 and T4 described during one of the online classes as "the woodworking machines". I might have called them "the blue machines".
I suspect the designation may relate more to the separate distribution channels.

Admittedly, I have thought that some of the other Tormek jigs have been more advanced than the knife jigs(specifically, the SVDR-186, especially when used with the TTS-50 setting tool; the DBS-22 for drill bits; and the SE-77 with controlled camber). I look at jig development as a running event, where the pack leaders change. The KJ-45 seems a good step in the right direction. I am curious to see what develops in the next few years.

Ken

tgbto

No nerve struck, Sir, not at all.

I sincerely believe that knife grinding is indeed not the primary purpose of the Tormek.

It seems to me that it happened more or less by accident, as it is both quick and precise. There are more precise setups (like the rod-based ones) or faster ones (belt sanders), but the Tormek is actually pretty unique in that it gives a benchstone-like finish much faster.

Still, they seem to still be looking for the sweet spot with knife sharpening : we talked angle-setting and AngleMaster shortcomings at length, or how you should only lift but gotta pivot, how hollow-grind is fine for knives but here's new jig that allows you to convex...ish, how you don't need a FVB for honing but here's the dual-MB-100 spaceship setup, how the T-1 and T-2 work in completely different ways...

I don't think there's such wiggle room with woodworking tools.

Ken S

TGB,

I agree with your thoughts about knives. And, I would give the Anglemaster higher marks for chisels and plane irons than for knives.

Although I think some of the woodworking jigs and accessories are presently more advanced than the knife jigs, I can see room for future advancement there, also. I like the new SE-77 jig with camber control. It is a welcome improvement for cabinetmakers. I would be even more welcoming for a calibrated SE jig with enough range to handle the steeper camber of a roughing plane, although I don't think I would welcome the extra cost. I think it would easily be double the cost of the SE-77.

When I anticipated a self centering knife jig from Tormek, I also anticipated a doubling of the cost. Yes, it would have been a better jig; however, would most of us have welcomed the extra cost? I believe the KJ-45, especially when combined with the SVM-45, will be adequate for most of us as part of a flexible sharpening system.

Ken