News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Colvin FVB on T8

Started by gbeaklr, March 26, 2023, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbeaklr

I'm a NOB, this is my first post so any help would be appreciated.
I just received my Colvin FVB and installed it on my T8.
I am using the USB Calculator on the Calcapp and cannot get my numbers to match what is shown on the last page under the "Tormek Constants" for the Colvin Tools FVB Horizontal and Vertical measurements.
I am going off how I am interpreting the drawings on where to measure on the 3rd page under Instructions and Machine Variables.
For Horizontal the list on the last page shows 133mm for the Colvin FVB and I measure 137.5mm.
For Vertical the list shows 54mm for the Colvin FVB and I measure 42.5mm.
Does anyone else have a T8 and the Colvin FVB that could verify my measurements or the measurements in the table of the Calcapp?
Anyone have any ideas that might steer me in the right direction?
Below are where I am getting the examples of where to measure and what the measurements should be.
I realize they are examples only, but my measurements are way off.
I apologize if this has already been addressed.
Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

You cannot view this attachment.

cbwx34

Quote from: gbeaklr on March 26, 2023, 12:58:18 AMI'm a NOB, this is my first post so any help would be appreciated.
I just received my Colvin FVB and installed it on my T8.
I am using the USB Calculator on the Calcapp and cannot get my numbers to match what is shown on the last page under the "Tormek Constants" for the Colvin Tools FVB Horizontal and Vertical measurements.
I am going off how I am interpreting the drawings on where to measure on the 3rd page under Instructions and Machine Variables.
For Horizontal the list on the last page shows 133mm for the Colvin FVB and I measure 137.5mm.
For Vertical the list shows 54mm for the Colvin FVB and I measure 42.5mm.
Does anyone else have a T8 and the Colvin FVB that could verify my measurements or the measurements in the table of the Calcapp?
Anyone have any ideas that might steer me in the right direction?
Below are where I am getting the examples of where to measure and what the measurements should be.
I realize they are examples only, but my measurements are way off.
I apologize if this has already been addressed.
Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Hi:

Any chance you could snap a photo or two of how you're measuring?

I double checked and the measurements in the chart match what I'm getting.  (But to be fair it's my chart.)  But it also matches what is on the ColvinTools website.  I'm not sure if anyone else has provided them.

Pics would help.  :)

Here's a picture I took the other day showing how I made the horizontal measurement.  This is on the T-4, but the process is similar.  Insert the USB into the bottom of the FVB and take the measurement.  (Take the total and subtract 12).

For the vertical, you can measure from the top of the FVB to the top of the casing, (I place a ruler on the FVB over the casing and measure the gap and add 29... should get you pretty close.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

gbeaklr

Thank you for the clarification.
I am now in the ballpark with 138 Horizontal and 52.5 vertical.
I was measuring all kinds of wrong!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

cbwx34

Quote from: gbeaklr on March 26, 2023, 05:11:25 AMThank you for the clarification.
I am now in the ballpark with 138 Horizontal and 52.5 vertical.
I was measuring all kinds of wrong!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Unless Rich made a change to the FVB dimensions, I'm not sure there should be that much of a difference.

The easiest way to check is to set the USB using the USB to FVB measurement, and then, without moving the USB, measure the distance from the USB to the Honing Wheel. It should match what the calculator says for the USB to Honing Wheel.

RichColvin

CB,

Thank you for the input.  There have been no changes to the FVB's design, so I assumed that your assistance was needed, and indeed it was.  

Kind regards,
Rich 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

gbeaklr

I can double check my new measurements again this weekend.
Thank you for the assistance gentlemen!
Regards,
Gary

gbeaklr

I verified my measurements and am confident that my Horizontal measurement is correct at 138mm.
The measurement from the top of the FVB to the top of the motor shaft is 45.25mm. Add 6mm for half the motor shaft and I have 51.25mm for Vertical.
These are the measurements I record and are repeatable as I perform them.
Regards,
Gary

Perra

Here is another method to get your measurements. In the text there is a "Download here" to download an excel file.
https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,4968.0.html

gbeaklr

I will check into that method when I have some time to play with it again.
Thank you.

cbwx34

I have some indirect evidence as to why this occurred.  Until I get the needed evidence to prove or disprove it (you know who you are),  ;D  my current theory is that the horizontal measurement is based on the time zone it's set in.  Beginning in the Eastern Time Zone, subtract approx. 1.67 mm for every time zone as you travel west.

(Don't measure on the day the time changes either way.)

(If you're in Sweden just use the AngleMaster.)

:D  :D  :D

Dutchman

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 27, 2023, 11:04:09 PMI have some indirect evidence as to why this occurred.  Until I get the needed evidence to prove or disprove it
Do not sharpen your knives in this condition. You could hurt yourself! ;)

tgbto

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 27, 2023, 11:04:09 PMBeginning in the Eastern Time Zone, subtract approx. 1.67 mm for every time zone as you travel west.

Is that valid for the entire time zone ? For each 15° of longitude ? Right in the middle ? Should we extrapolate when we sit close to the edge of the 15° zone ?

Perra

Quote from: cbwx34 on March 27, 2023, 11:04:09 PMI have some indirect evidence as to why this occurred.  Until I get the needed evidence to prove or disprove it (you know who you are),  ;D  my current theory is that the horizontal measurement is based on the time zone it's set in.  Beginning in the Eastern Time Zone, subtract approx. 1.67 mm for every time zone as you travel west.

(Don't measure on the day the time changes either way.)

(If you're in Sweden just use the AngleMaster.)

:D  :D  :D

I'm happy to live in Sweden.... avoids all this calculation  ;)

cbwx34

gbeaklr

Thanks to everyone for the Awesome support!
This is a great source of information and I really learned alot thanks to everyones input.
Many Thanks!
Gary