News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

How to clean CW-220 Composite wheel?

Started by John S, March 24, 2023, 10:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

Hello,  I was wondering if my composite wheel is getting clogged with use.  The leather wheel can be scraped off and compound reapplied effectively renewing the surface but with the composite wheel this cannot be done. 

I was thinking of using my ultrasonic cleaner as it is large enough to dip the entire wheel at once. I imagine the debris can be shaken loose ultrasonically leaving the surface closer to new.  I have not selected a fluid yet but am still wondering if it will work without destroying the CW-220 wheel.

Any thoughts please?

TYVM, John

Ken S

Good question, John.

I asked a question about using water with the composite honing wheel during one of the online classes. Wolfgang stated that he never uses water; Sebastien stated that he prefers to use water. I'm in the uses water camp. I use a plastic container with water and a Scotch Brite pad. I like the smoother feel with the water. The Scotch Brite pad seems to keep the composite wheel clean, although I have no scientific proof of this.

Keep us posted.

Ken

Perra

Can confirm that water works for me too. I use a simple spray bottle and shower a bit when it gets dry.

cbwx34

Quote from: John S on March 24, 2023, 10:19:57 PMHello,  I was wondering if my composite wheel is getting clogged with use.  The leather wheel can be scraped off and compound reapplied effectively renewing the surface but with the composite wheel this cannot be done. 
Any thoughts please?

TYVM, John

Can it not be scraped a bit?  My understanding is the surface has abrasive embedded in it, so I would think over time the top layer needs to be removed to "freshen" it.  Which is why I thought it was thicker than the leather.

(I thought it was mentioned in one of their videos, but couldn't find it.)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RichColvin

Someone recommended using denatured alcohol to me. 
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

Ken S

John,
Are you noticing any difference in how well your composite wheel "cuts" now?
Ken

Perra

I have never had to scrape mine, the waters seem to keep it clean. But technically, it should be possible to carefully scrape off the surface a little. But try some water or liquid first I would suggest.

John S

The wheel still cuts fine.  But I feel there has to be some fine metal being imbedded into the surface.  I assume if the loose particles were removed it would be closer to that new wheel feeling :)

I was thinking of a fluid like Simple Green. It might be educational to see what is shed in a ultrasonic bath.

John