News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Something is Coming?

Started by cbwx34, March 23, 2023, 12:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: tgbto on April 03, 2023, 02:58:57 PMNice. Maybe the gray foreground is a tad light ;)

Diamond (or Composite) wheel accents.  :D
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: tgbto on April 03, 2023, 08:20:08 AMBlack paint ... with DF stone, composite honing wheel and 50 years warranty  :)
Plus a "SQ-90" Tormek squarez which may be what we've glimpsed in an earlier video with Wolfgang.

What video are you referring to that has the SQ-90?  I'm trying to find out what this square is meant to do, can you link the video with time-stamp where he demos this?

Ken S

I saw several anniversary editions in Sweden. Except for the black color, the only physical difference I noted was the zinc fifty year medallion. The medallion is purely decorative, like the hood ornament on the Mercedes Benz or the red stripe on some Nikon cameras. In its defense, it does look distinctive.

We are mostly overlooking one thing about the fiftieth edition: the combination of the DF-250 diamond wheel and the composite honing wheel on a T8 is presently Tormek's most futuristic offering. If we price a T8 Custom with this combination, the price is actually somewhat HIGHER that the black edition. I suspect the "limited edition" factor will help it maintain a higher resale value over the years. That and the fifty year warranty, in my opinion, make it a bargain.

Ken

John Hancock Sr

What video are you referring to that has the SQ-90?  I'm trying to find out what this square is meant to do, can you link the video with time-stamp where he demos this?
[/quote]

You can use the square to test the square on a chisel or plane blade. There are also angle gauges to check the existing angles. A nice to have but not essential. I use a small veritas "double" square.

Ken S

I agree with John. The SQ-90 is a convenient tool, but not unique. It is handy, when used with a fine point Sharpie, to draw a square line on a grinding wheel. This helps align skew chisels when the existing skew angle does mot match one of the TTS-100 settings. It is also handy for checking the squareness of a chisel or plane edge.

It is a convenient size for the Tormek and less prone to rusting than many machinist's squares.

Ken

tgbto

Quote from: Thy Will Be Done on September 06, 2023, 10:07:59 AMWhat video are you referring to that has the SQ-90?  I'm trying to find out what this square is meant to do, can you link the video with time-stamp where he demos this?

Here you go !

Ken S

The SQ-90 small square is a useful tool. It can do several functions well with the Tormek. As shown in the video, it aids in drawing a square line on the grinding wheel. This square line can assist in setting up turning or carving skew chisels. It can be used in checking the squareness of chisel or plane edges. This includes checking the amount and evenness of cambers on plane blades. The SQ-90 should, in my opinion, be part of every sharpener's kit.

However, it has no special function related to the "limited edition". I believe it was included as part of the graphic design of the black foam block. It nicely fills in what would have otherwise been a large empty black area. If this is correct, I consider it smart design.

I think it is unfortunate that Tormek has no plans to include the SQ-90 in the general product line at this time. I happen to collect machinists' tools. My collection includes six or eight squares like this, generally called "engineer's squares". Top quality squares like these are extremely accurate and priced accordingly. They are generally larger and made of non stainless hardened tool steel. The Tormek square is the most useful square I have found for Tormek sharpening.

Ken

tgbto

I use a square similar to this one. For now, it works a treat.