News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Colvin FVB on T8

Started by gbeaklr, March 26, 2023, 12:58:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

While I had already done some "crazy" with a ruler to test my theory...

You cannot view this attachment.

... Rich was kind enough to send me a (what I will call) "production" model to compare directly.

What I found is that there is a 3.5mm difference in the location of the holes where the horizontal rods are inserted.  This causes the the production model to sit lower, so that it contacts the machine at a different point.

Long story short, the production model constants I measured match what gbeaklr measured:  138mm horizontal and 51mm vertical.  (A T-4 I measured as 114mm and 39mm.)

Good lesson in why it's a good idea to measure your own setup!

p.s.  Thanks Rich!
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

RickKrung

If you just use the distance from the USB to the grinding wheel surface, all of that goes away...
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

I have never understood the need to measure using anywhere except "from the USB to the surface of the grinding wheel". I borrowed this from Dutchman's work and applied it to the kenjig. It simplifies measuring.

Ken

Dutchman

Quote from: Ken S on April 02, 2023, 04:30:09 AM... snip
 It simplifies measuring.
Ken
... and it reduces tolerances  ;)

cbwx34

While I personally prefer the ease and versatility of measuring to the wheel, I decided to provide the alternative in the Calcapp app to those who want it.  Many like this method, and I've found it works just as well.

I've also found that it's not necessary to  try to take constant measurements to .XX accuracy, or needing to measure out .X° differences, so it's not that difficult.  Notice that all my "constants" are to the nearest mm, and not like when we were debating, "Was that 49.38 or 50.12?"  I found that flipping the USB over that I showed earlier, (and gbeaklr's idea for measuring the vertical) are quick and easy measurements to take.

Just like measuring to the wheel, pick a technique that is accurate and consistent, and the results will be the same.  Don't get caught up in the minutiae (especially of the past).  ::)

gbeaklr

cbwx34
Thanks for verifying what a newbie was measuring!
I am Proud to be a Patreon member and love to see that even a newbie has a voice.
This site has been great about not making me feel stupid.
Thanks to everyon that replied.
Results with the Calcapp and these new Colvin settings have been spot on and razor sharp.
Great Job!

cbwx34

Quote from: gbeaklr on April 06, 2023, 04:02:39 AMcbwx34
Thanks for verifying what a newbie was measuring!
I am Proud to be a Patreon member and love to see that even a newbie has a voice.
This site has been great about not making me feel stupid.
Thanks to everyon that replied.
Results with the Calcapp and these new Colvin settings have been spot on and razor sharp.
Great Job!

Thanks!  Glad it's working out for you.