News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Advice: How to Repair SG-250 Wheel Contaminated with Aluminium

Started by BrightonWorkbench, March 12, 2023, 09:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrightonWorkbench

Hi All,

This is my first post.

I accidentally contaminated a wheel (SG-250) with what I think is aluminium. I was using using a jig (SVD-110) and it slipped onto the stone's suface whilst I was grinding (see pics). 

How should I repair the stone? 

I have the diamond truing tool (TT-50). I was just going to use that to remove a layer from the stone until the stone looked free from the aluminium specs. Does that sound appropriate? Is there any other action to take? (aside from making sure the tool rest is tight enough in the future!)

Thanks in advance for any contributions!

Tormek Supergrind 2000 w/SG-250 Stone

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, BW.

I would carefully use your TT-50 truing tool. Take very light cuts, just a fraction of a number on the microadjust nut. (If your support bar predates the threaded microadjust nut, just adjust very carefully. A new threaded microadjust US-105 universal support bar would be a useful addition to your want list.)

Once you have your grinding wheel cleared, use the coarse edge of your stone grader to create a slight radius on both corners of your grinding wheel. Incidentally, worst case scenario, the diamond cluster of the TT-50 is available as a spare part and very easy to install. The cost is about a third the cost of a new grinding wheel. This is for information only; I doubt you will need this.

Good luck and keep us posted. I would leave your SVD-110 as is to remind you to be careful. I speak from experience. My former workshop was the garage of a house with no basement. It was overstuffed with junk. One day I lost my balance and my eyeglasses hit the concrete floor. I left the slightly abraded frame as is as a reminder to be careful.

Welcome to the club......

Ken

PS I am emailing Sebastien and Wolfgang suggesting they include how to clean aluminum from the grinding wheel is an upcoming video. If, by chance, you have not watched Tormek's online class videos, I recommend them highly.

RichColvin

Anthony,

I don't think I would worry about it.  I doubt that the amount of aluminum you show will impact the sharpening process measurably.  If it were my grindstone, I might freshen the surface using the TT-50 as usual, and proceed to sharpen as before. 

Rich
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

3D Anvil

I agree with Rich.  The abrasive in the stone is actually aluminum oxide.  The aluminum residue on the stone is too soft to have an impact on sharpening.  If it bothers you, the first thing I'd try is the coarse side of the stone grader.

John_B

I would follow Ken's advice if you have not trued your stone in a while. If it is running true the grader will work as well.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

sharpening_weasel

As a sidenote- I think that might be zinc, which is what most of the tormek jigs are made of (I believe.)

RickKrung

Quote from: sharpening_weasel on March 21, 2023, 01:01:18 PMAs a sidenote- I think that might be zinc, which is what most of the tormek jigs are made of (I believe.)

You may be right, and I wondered about that.  But...  it may be that the CAST jigs are zinc and the other accessories, particularly the platforms are aluminum.  I've machined many of the platforms and a little on the SVM knife jigs and while they are not hugely different, there is a difference and my sense is the platforms are aluminum.  Tormek support has been exceedingly quiet about construction details, but if interested, an email there might reveal. 

I doubt it matters, however, as they are both soft and clog the grinding surfaces similarly and the solutions, as suggested, are likely the same. 

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Herman Trivilino

Just continue to use your Tormek as usual. That little bit of zinc or aluminum won't hurt anything and will eventually be removed as you sharpen your tools, grade the grindstone, and true the grindstone.
Origin: Big Bang

BrightonWorkbench

Thanks for the replies All! It's really appreciated.

I trued the wheel as per Ken's instructions and everything is sharpening as usual.

Thanks again.