News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

different paths

Started by Ken S, March 01, 2023, 07:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Over the years, I have observed our members following different paths. I would like to share some observations on three of these paths. I do not think any of these paths is mutually exclusive. Also, I do not wish to imply that any of these paths is superior to the others.

One path is what I call the traditional Tormek technique. This is the path honed by Tormek for half a century drawing heavily on generations of orthodox sharpening. This method is designed to produce superior sharpening results for most tools using standard Tormek equipment. Most of us can use this method to quickly obtain good edges. With the handbook and the online classes, this path requires the least study outside of Tormek

The second and third paths are for those who enjoy exploring and solving special problems. One of these paths focuses on computer mathematics to develop  organized, precise ways to set bevels. This path requires that someone have a solid knowledge of computer mathematics. Fortunately, several members have generously shared their expertise, allowing "us mere mortals" to tag along with their expertise.

The other path involves designing, making, or purchasing custom jigs and accessories. Part of the skill set with this path is either having machinist skills or establishing a good relationship with a local machinist.(I recommend
most of us find a good local machinist.) While this path may require more expense, the results can be satisfying.

Most of us use a combination of these paths. The Tormek is a very versatile machine.

Ken