News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KJ-45 - Can This Be Used On Daggers Or Other Double Edged Knives?

Started by Thy Will Be Done, February 25, 2023, 02:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Will Be Done

I have a customer request to grind a harpoon-style swedge knife to have a sharpened edge along that harpoon grind.  I am thinking I can just clamp the KJ-45 to the edge side of the knife on the primary grind bevel and use this way but am worried I am missing something here.  It seems that it should work but it's an expensive knife and I'd hate to mess up for not asking first.  Thoughts?  Anybody with experience doing this?

cbwx34

Quote from: Thy Will Be Done on February 25, 2023, 02:22:38 AMI have a customer request to grind a harpoon-style swedge knife to have a sharpened edge along that harpoon grind.  I am thinking I can just clamp the KJ-45 to the edge side of the knife on the primary grind bevel and use this way but am worried I am missing something here.  It seems that it should work but it's an expensive knife and I'd hate to mess up for not asking first.  Thoughts?  Anybody with experience doing this?

Picture?

If you're trying to clamp the bevel/edge side of a knife, that's the opposite way the KJ-45 works.  You'd probably have to shim it up with tape or something.  (But not sure this is what you mean?)

I did find this, not sure if it'll help:  Swedges and harpoon tips, to sharpen or not
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: cbwx34 on February 25, 2023, 03:16:16 PM
Quote from: Thy Will Be Done on February 25, 2023, 02:22:38 AMI have a customer request to grind a harpoon-style swedge knife to have a sharpened edge along that harpoon grind.  I am thinking I can just clamp the KJ-45 to the edge side of the knife on the primary grind bevel and use this way but am worried I am missing something here.  It seems that it should work but it's an expensive knife and I'd hate to mess up for not asking first.  Thoughts?  Anybody with experience doing this?

Picture?

If you're trying to clamp the bevel/edge side of a knife, that's the opposite way the KJ-45 works.  You'd probably have to shim it up with tape or something.  (But not sure this is what you mean?)

I did find this, not sure if it'll help:  Swedges and harpoon tips, to sharpen or not

Yes, you have the correct understanding to clamp the beveled side of the blade to grind and sharpen the swedge grind just like that thread you found.  If I cannot use the KJ-45 my only option is to freehand but I want to make sure it turns out nice in the end. 

3D Anvil

I think using the small knife jig to clamp the handle might be your best bet.

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: 3D Anvil on February 26, 2023, 06:46:47 AMI think using the small knife jig to clamp the handle might be your best bet.

I had just seen this jig and thought it may be the best route to go with this.  Would this also work with longer dagger type knives/swords?  This is another solution I am in need of moving forward as I've not tried working with these yet.