News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Rubber Drive Wheel

Started by Alej73, February 08, 2023, 02:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alej73

Hello, new to the forum and new owner of a T8, I have used a T8 in the past at a former place of employment. I don't remember the drive wheel from the T8 I used at my work heating up so much and smelling like burned rubber. It is very nauseating while standing over the machine sharpening and no mention of it in the owners manual. I did lightly rough up the surface of the wheel with coarse sand paper as instructed in the start up manual. Is this common for a new machine during break in? Or is there something faulty?

RickKrung

I've heard of a lot of issues with the drive wheel before, but have never heard of this one.  I think Tormek will have heard of it, so I think you should contact Tormek support, depending on where our located:

https://tormek.com/en/support/contact

Since you have roughened the rubber drive wheel, if it is burning, it should show some signs of that burning on the surface.  What does it look like?  Smoothed/shiny/polished/burned? 

Just a guess, but burning rubber sounds like something is dragging the drive wheel causing the drive shaft to spin on the rubber, causing it to burn.  Hard to imagine what might be doing that.  I'd try pulling the drive shaft away from the drive wheel and see if the shaft/drive/grinding wheel turns freely.  It is also possible to remove the drive wheel and run the motor to see if the burning smell occurs when the drive shaft is not contacting the drive wheel. 

How new it it?  From your comments, sounds like brand new.  If so, it is under warranty.  Have you registered it with Tormek?

Rick 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

3D Anvil

Wow, I've definitely not experienced that with my T-8, although I did have an issue where my original drive wheel was wobbly. 

Alej73

It is brand new, purchased from Amazon through a 3rd party seller which honors the prime membership. It was unused when I received it though there was a little chip in the wet stone wheel and they refunded me $90 which I was ok with as the chip wasn't deep. Otherwise it's fine other than the rubber wheel issue. I haven't yet registered it, though I have sent a message to Tormek support and am waiting for a response. Is there a direct number for support in the US or would I have to call Europe? When I get home I will look at the rubber wheel more carefully and see if there is any signs of burning or damage to the drive shaft.

Ken S

Welcome to the forum, Alej. Here is the contact information for Tormek in the US:

USA

Importer Woodworking & Crafts, Hunting & Outdoor, Culinary

Tormek Inc.
1 E. 22nd Street, Suite 200
Lombard, IL 60148
+1 331 401 1300
info@tormek.com
tormek.com

Ken

Alej73

TireguyfromMA

Could the shaft be slipping against the rubber of the wheel?  The motor shaft moves in a very short arc, maybe a 1/4". When you remove the three screws that hold the honing wheel, you should see firm contact of the motor shaft to the rubber wheel. If something is interfering with the movement (arc) of the shaft to swing back to the rubber it would slip and heat up.  You might see a little discoloration of the rubber from the heat.