News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

What am I doing wrong?

Started by jwent333, February 05, 2023, 06:44:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwent333

Greetings,

I have been slowly learning the process of sharpening on my new T4. In time and practice I understand I will get better at it.

I have been practicing on old vg-10 chef knives, the problem I am having is that I am consistently getting a bow (curve) on the blade start just after the heel for about 1.5-2 inches. Is this caused fron to much pressure on the knife?

Thank you for any advice.

Jeff

tgbto

Also, in one of Tormek's videos (the advanced knife sharpening one, maybe ?) they mention rounding off the edges of the stone and laying the knife flat against the stone, not tilted to one side.

Else the corner of the stone bites into the knife and digs a curve in.

I try to see a wide flow of water lapping the blade before I lay it down.

jwent333

Thank you for the information and the link to the topic. I really did not know what the technical name was called for the "curve' in the blade. I know using a steel will do that as well.

I watch carefully as I lay the blade on the stone and it looks like it lays flat.

I know that a few times my hand that holds the KJ-45 handle sometimes comes of the support bar, perhaps that is my issue as well.

I will keep practicing.

All advice and comments welcome.

Thank you

Jeff

3D Anvil