News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Where to purchase CrO2 paste?

Started by TireguyfromMA, January 30, 2023, 07:56:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TireguyfromMA

I'm planning on buying another leather honing wheel for my T8 that I'll use with CrO2.  Having a hard time finding where to buy the CrO2 paste for this??

tgbto

Hi. I used the methode described by the late wootz in this video.

He mentions buying one that was headed straight for the garbage can because the oil had polymerized already.

WimSpi

In the video, mentioned in TGBTO's post he also indicates where you can buy these CrO2 can buy.
I had no problem with that buying it here (NL).

3D Anvil

I believe I bought CrO2 powder on Amazon.

TireguyfromMA

Watching one of Wootz's videos about making your own CrO2 paste, I was able to get the name of a company located in New York that sells CrO2 in a pure powder form, $12 for a 100gm bag.  According to Wootz, just add a little bit of mineral oil to get the right consistency, then apply to your leather wheel or strop with a finger tip. The paste will harden up a bit with age, so by mixing your own you only have to mix up what you need.   The name of the company is Kremer Pigment 212-219-2394.  Item #44200.12100.136.   

Ken S

3D,

The Amazon listing for your product does not list a grit size. The green chromium sticks are commonly .5 micron. Although Wootz specified .25 micron, .5 seems very close. I suspect it would work well for the majority of the knives we sharpen, certainly for mine.

Ken

tgbto

Quote from: TireguyfromMA on January 31, 2023, 05:00:23 AMjust add a little bit of mineral oil to get the right consistency, then apply to your leather wheel or strop

If I'm not mistaken, I think Wootz advised linseed oil for leather and mineral oil for paper or felt.

3D Anvil

Quote from: Ken S on January 31, 2023, 09:26:21 PM3D,

The Amazon listing for your product does not list a grit size. The green chromium sticks are commonly .5 micron. Although Wootz specified .25 micron, .5 seems very close. I suspect it would work well for the majority of the knives we sharpen, certainly for mine.

Ken

I think what Wootz was saying was that pure chromium oxide powder has an inherent grain size of .2-.5 microns, for an average grain size of around 0.35 microns, which is equivalent to a grit rating of about 100k. 

One thing to note about making your own emulsion is that that green powder is REALLY green and will stain anything it touches.  I guess artists use it to make paint colors.  If you didn't have a green thumb before making your mixture, you will after.   ;D

TireguyfromMA

Yes, the green powder is a pure Cr2O3 pigment powder sold by art supply stores. This is the same product that Vadim uses in his video on How to make your own Cr2O3 paste.  Avg micron size is 0.3, corresponding to a 100K grit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ6GNRQmRHI

JCB

I have used the recipe for chromium oxide paste that was described by Vadim and it worked very well.  I did use it on a Tormek leather wheel. I just want to mention that he recommended refined linseed oil.  The common linseed oil used by wood workers is boiled linseed oil.  Vadim, such a perfectionist, would not have put in that detail if it was not important.  The refined linseed oil is much lighter in color.

TireguyfromMA

LOL...now where to buy refined linseed oil. I'm sure I'll find it.  Never thought it would be so hard to get Cr2O3 quality paste

3D Anvil

Quote from: TireguyfromMA on February 06, 2023, 02:22:49 AMLOL...now where to buy refined linseed oil. I'm sure I'll find it.  Never thought it would be so hard to get Cr2O3 quality paste
Amazon is your friend.   ;)

TireguyfromMA

Found it at a local arts & crafts store (Michael's) 4.2fl/oz for $12.  Turns out it's a common product used by oil painters

Ken S

That's good to know. Thanks for posting it.

Ken