News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

"and everything in between"

Started by Ken S, January 21, 2023, 10:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

"and everything in between"

I remember this distinctly from one of the Tormek online classes. (Unfortunately, I do not remember which class.
If anyone remembers and would reply with the class and time, I would be most appreciative.) The quote refers to the grit change with the stone grader.

The 220/1000 grit change with the stone grader is one of the sacred cows of Tormek technique. It is also not quite accurate. The stone grader is not like a light switch, either on or off (220 or 1000 grit). I first became aware of this when Stig told me about using "600 grit" to sharpen knives. "600 grit" is not an exact grit number; it doesn't have to be. It means a grit between minimum and maximum.

I do not find grit size of Tormek grinding wheels a meaningful number, beyond being a general indicator. I would expect a coarser grit number to cut faster. However, my 360 grit coarse diamond wheel cuts faster than my 220 grit SG. This seems logical to me;the diamond wheels are harder and the diamond grains are sharper. I think much more is involved than just grit size.

Instead of grit numbers, I think of using the stone grader in terms of more coarse to more fine. Like many of us, I was reluctant to use the stone grader for fear of "wearing out my precious Tormek grinding wheel". I gradually came to think of wearing my grinding wheel as a long-term consumable, like the brakes on a car.

When we compare the SG with superabrasive wheels, like diamond or CBN, we sometimes don't seem to get past the superabrasives not gradually losing diameter or needing truing with use. While this is true, we overlook the advantages of being able to change the "grit size" with the stone grader; reshape the stone; retrue the stone; or dress the stone to expose fresh sharp grains. These are serious advantages.

Ken