News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Using the Tormek axe jig SVA170 with old hatchets

Started by tcsharpen, January 02, 2023, 04:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsharpen

I have 3 very old hatchets of different styles, acquired from relatives. One looks to be a roofing or construction hatchet since it has a hammer on one side.  It still fits into the jig though.

None have any visible bevel to match. All are a mess with crooked edges, all convex down to the "edge", all practically blunt.  I First tried to black marker the average edge and match it.  After I did that I measured the angle on the anglemaster and it was 60 degrees. It now had a point but would barely tear paper.  I've got quite a bit of work ahead. More to post as it unfolds.

I've read various resources.  Note to Rich Colvin. Looks like the axe page reference to the Forest Service axe manual has moved.  Perhaps this is it now:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/inside-fs/delivering-mission/deliver/one-moving-part-forest-service-ax-manual

Ken S

TC,

I believe your hatchet with a hammer head on one end is a "half hatchet". I have one which I inherited from my grandfather. I remember the carpenter who added a room onto my parents' home in 1960 using one. As I recall, the hatchet ends were traditionally left blunt, although, I do not know why.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: tcsharpen on January 02, 2023, 04:19:51 AM...snip...
I've read various resources.  Note to Rich Colvin. Looks like the axe page reference to the Forest Service axe manual has moved.  Perhaps this is it now:  https://www.fs.usda.gov/inside-fs/delivering-mission/deliver/one-moving-part-forest-service-ax-manual

That looks to be an excellent and very complete resource. An earlier USFS manual is located here.  I found one on a USFS site, but it was only one or two of the chapters.  The link above is a complete manual.

I wonder if you could make a working jig of the sharpening bevel profile from the images in these manuals.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

tcsharpen

I spent some time with a hand file to thin down the cheek of the hatchet to be more similar to the other profiles I've seen, something which might actually fit into the above template, but judging by eye since I don't have the template. I cleaned up the hand filing a little bit freehand on the Tormek.  After that I went back to the axe jig and dropped the USB a couple turns and reground the edge.  It now measures about 42 degrees, and cuts paper.  Not quite yet at the recommended 20-35 degrees, but getting there.

RichColvin

All, thank you for the assistance.  I've updated the Sharpening Handbook to reflect that.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

HaioPaio

Quote from: tcsharpen on January 04, 2023, 06:59:05 PM........ It now measures about 42 degrees, and cuts paper.  Not quite yet at the recommended 20-35 degrees, but getting there.
Not sure if I understand correctly.
I thought if one is using the WM-200 touching the side of the hatchet, the included angle would be measured. So the 42deg would be equivalent to 21 dps?

tcsharpen

It was measured on the bevel so that 42 is inclusive angle. When you read about axes and hatchets it commonly refers to 20-35 inclusive depending on type/usage, not per side, if I'm understanding it correctly.  I'm new to this also so open to instruction.

HaioPaio

As per the "The Forest Service Ax Manual - one moving part", 17 to 21 dps is suggested for the bevel, wich is 34 to 42 deg inclusive.
However, an microbevel of 25 to 32 dps (50 to 64 inclusive) is recommended in addition. 

However, you are talking about hatchets, not axes. I should read more carefully.

You cannot view this attachment.                                           

tcsharpen

Quote from: HaioPaio on January 06, 2023, 08:47:22 AMAs per the "The Forest Service Ax Manual - one moving part", 17 to 21 dps is suggested for the bevel, wich is 34 to 42 deg inclusive.
However, an microbevel of 25 to 32 dps (50 to 64 inclusive) is recommended in addition. 

However, you are talking about hatchets, not axes. I should read more carefully.

Yes, I've read that page as well, but perhaps there may be some errors there?  Note RichColvin's Sharpening Handbook says axes are 20-35 inclusive, based on type/usage.  This is in agreement with other sources, including some notable vendors of high-end, non-racing style, axes.  I've also seen various videos on how to create an axe gauge, and for instance when they describe making it for 25 degrees, they mark it for 12.5 degrees per side.

RichColvin

I added the U.S. Forest Service recommendations as a separate line in the Sharpening Handbook.  https://sharpeninghandbook.info/GT-Axe.html
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

WimSpi

Here is another link to an axe manufacturer from Sweden that has a very good reputation in Europe:

https://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/

By the way, we considered (in the Netherlands) the characteristic difference between a cabinetmaker and a carpenter is the axe.

Carpenters in earlier times used the axe a lot. They are "clovers" of wood. In which one must pay close attention to the thread of the wood.
Furniture makers are more 'cutters' of wood.