News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

thoughts on the online Grinding Pressure class

Started by Ken S, December 16, 2022, 11:59:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I found the online Grinding Pressure class a refreshing change. The typical advice offered to Tormek users wanting more speed is to spend $1000 or more on a set of superabrasive grinding wheels. All too often this path is chosen before or instead of really understanding how to optimize the performance of the SG-250 (or SG-200).

The video class provides too much information to be covered in one forum post.Therefore, I will only mention several points in the hope of starting a forum discussion.

In my opinion, the most solid, valuable advice from the class is for new users to learn sharpening, including how to use pressure, with the standard SG grinding wheel. Learn to use the stone grader and truing tool to full effect. Learn to make the most of varying grinding pressure. Yes, as the stone wears the diameter will gradually change. All abrasive material will eventually be consumed, even diamond and CBN. The overlooked advantage of stones over superabrasives is that stones can be restored and repaired.

I agree with the advice of changing the trough water before using the SJ 4000 grit stone. Good practice with honing wheels is not to cross contaminate different grits. Why do we do this with the SJ? I would carry this a little further and suggest having a separate stone grader reserved for the SJ. Stone graders eventually wear out. Let the stone grader reserved for the SJ eventually become the general purpose stone grader and replace it for the SJ with a new one. If changing water for the SJ seems a hassle, why not use a second water trough? If one is doing enough of this high dollar sharpening, the expense of a second water trough should easily be absorbed.

I don't want this post to become overly long. I will stop here and save further comments for replies.

Ken

Ken S

Early in the video (approximately five minutes), there is an excellent discussion of how the Tormek motor mount is designed to keep the motor cool running. This es especially useful for T3 and T4. It supports the idea that the "thirty minute duty cycle" is mostly myth.

Ken

WimSpi

Quote from: Ken S on December 16, 2022, 11:59:15 AMI agree with the advice of changing the trough water before using the SJ 4000 grit stone. Good practice with honing wheels is not to cross contaminate different grits. Why do we do this with the SJ? I would carry this a little further and suggest having a separate stone grader reserved for the SJ. Stone graders eventually wear out. Let the stone grader reserved for the SJ eventually become the general purpose stone grader and replace it for the SJ with a new one. If changing water for the SJ seems a hassle, why not use a second water trough? If one is doing enough of this high dollar sharpening, the expense of a second water trough should easily be absorbed.

I don't want this post to become overly long. I will stop here and save further comments for replies.

Ken

This is exactly why I made a water bowl holder, when I need to change water bowls. It has happened to me several times that I have knocked over the bowl that is not being used. The bowls are not very stable, because of their form.  https://forum.tormek.com/index.php/topic,5047.msg36436.html#msg36436

Ken S

Wim,

Your water trough holder is a very practical solution to a real problem.
Well done!

Ken