News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Sharpening Gravers

Started by tris, December 16, 2022, 09:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tris

I have a T3 and a mighty fine tool it is

I'm thinking about starting engraving copper/silver

Will the T3 sharpen the gravers I'll need?

Cheers
Tris

Ken S

Tris,

We are not ignoring you. Your post is the first I remember since 2009 when I first joined the forum. You might have better luck with Tormek support (support@tormek.se).

Please keep us posted.

Ken

HaioPaio

Ken S

Tris,

The latest Tormek online class (grinding pressure) has some valuable reference material for you. Starting at seven minutes, Wolfgang discusses how pressure varies with the size of the tool being sharpened. Before that, the mounting of the motor is discussed. This is especially applicable for your T3, as the pressure release design helps keep the motor cool. Here is a link:

https://youtu.be/7laP_ysnMwo

I posted an update on the topic just referenced by HP. The SVD-186 has been revised and is now the SVD-186R. It now has a rotational locking screw. This is another fine example of a Tormek innovation for one tool having applications for another tool. I would think using the marker method to set the angle and then using a fine tipped marker on both parts of the rotating collar (a "witness mark") would make set up very repeatable.

Gravers fall outside of the primary tools the Tormek is designed to sharpen. However, that does not mean that they can not be sharpened with the Tormek. We just have to add some DIY innovation. Like the Borg on Star Trek, the forum has the combined ideas of all of us.

Ken

PS For members wanting to help and having no knowledge of gravers (like me), an online search will yield much material.