News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Tapered Felt Wheel

Started by Dave Cummins, December 07, 2022, 04:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Cummins

Im hoping somebody can offer advice regarding a tapered 250mm wheel I use on my T8. I primarily use this for sharpening serrated bread knives and the apex of the taper is becoming blunt and sometimes too wide to comfortably fit the scallops.
Im guessing there will be some members who have experienced the same issue and am wondering if there is a proven method to re-profile the taper.
Thanks in advance.
Dave

tgbto

Hi Dave.

I have no personal experience with this, but in this thread, the late Wootz explains how he had cut slots in his felt wheel. He's been using a dremel cutting disc. I believe it is the carbide-coated wood cutting disc.

I don't know if you have a FVB (maybe the HUSB would work too), but I'd use that as a support, and try to slowwwwwwwwly reshape the rotating felt wheel with the dremel on high enough a speed that it cuts easily, but not so fast as to burn the felt.

3D Anvil

I'd try a sanding block before resorting to the Dremel.

RickKrung

The dremel tool was for cutting transverse slots.  I do not think it applies to reshaping the wheel profile.  I suspect this could be quite difficult and I'm wonder if sanding it will work.  Sanding will fray the felt in order to wear it down.  This could leave the surface quite fuzzy and soft, not something you want.  I suspect the profile is formed when the wheel is pressed at the factory and it may be very difficult to re-create it.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

tgbto

Rick, I agree with your assessment of the risk.

The wheel seems no longer fit for the OP's purpose though.

So if something is to be tried, I think trying to cut the wheel, albeit in a shallow fashion, is a better way to go than trying to sand it, which will decrease the density. The wheel won't know it is being cut in a different fashion, and wootz's post show clean edges, not frayed ones. Just a suggestion though.

3D Anvil

How are you going to cut the wheel evenly with a Dremel?  I'm not seeing it.

Dave Cummins

Thanks to you all for your helpful advice. I received a reply from the manufacturer, who advised I use 80 grit sandpaper.
I'll mount the wheel on the T8 and maybe use two sanding blocks with the 80 grit and offset them so I can sand both sides at the same time. This will be interesting after considering all your replies. I'll report back.
Dave

Dave Cummins

Ive since taken the 80 grit sandpaper to the wheel and Im happy with the results. The surface of the taper is nice and solid and hasn't gone loose or messy. Thanks again for your feedback.
Dave

3D Anvil

Glad it worked out for you.  Can you say where you got your tapered wheel?  I've done a little looking but haven't found any in stock.

Crabnbass

Quote from: 3D Anvil on December 12, 2022, 06:22:01 PMGlad it worked out for you.  Can you say where you got your tapered wheel?  I've done a little looking but haven't found any in stock.

I got mine from Schleif. I'm glad to hear there is a fix for bringing the taper back after the wheel ages.