News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

my favorite Tormek online class

Started by Ken S, December 08, 2022, 08:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

Choosing a favorite Tormek class is a bit like having to choose a favorite child. As much as I appreciate the fine classes by Sebastien and Woofgang, I have a warm spot for the class Sebastien did with Stig. I like Stig's practical approach to sharpening. Here is a link to the class:

https://youtu.be/8uLMWXqobRM

I am sure my preference is biased by my good fortune in meeting Stig in 2014.
Since then, I have tried to see him whenever he is demonstrating in Ohio.
I have watched him sharpen many knives and chisels. His technique is refreshingly simple: SG-50 coarse, then fine, followed by the leather honing wheel with PA-70. Very traditional Tormek. Very sharp, very skilled without fanfare.

I intend no criticism of those who use more complicated methods. I have followed the amazing innovations by our members with interest and appreciation. I only wish to encourage our intrepid pioneers. I am concerned about our beginning members. Aspiring to the stars is noble. Mastering and enjoying the original Tormek techniques is also noble. Stig has mastered this technique. I find his enthusiasm contagious and have enjoyed his video. I hope you do, also.

Ken