News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

CAUTION WITH THE UPGRADED FORUM

Started by Ken S, December 02, 2022, 11:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken S

I just learned a hard lesson with the new upgraded forum. I started writing a reply when I got up at 4:00 this morning. I completed it at 5:20 and was going to preview it. It was gone. When I logged in, I had used the default log in time of one hour. How frustrating!!!!

"New and improved" is not always better. I will be more diligent in the future. I wish I could reset my default time to all day. There is an all day option; however, it is not the default. Maybe I should still do my longer posts with my word processing program.

Ken

RickKrung

Quote from: Ken S on December 02, 2022, 11:37:09 AMI just learned a hard lesson with the new upgraded forum. I started writing a reply when I got up at 4:00 this morning. I completed it at 5:20 and was going to preview it. It was gone. When I logged in, I had used the default log in time of one hour. How frustrating!!!!
...snip...
Ken

Did you save it as a DRAFT and still lose it?  I would sure not like it if saving it as a draft only saves something as long as you are logged in. 
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.

Ken S

Rick,
The error was mine. I inadvertently exceeded the default log in time. After an hour and twenty minutes, I was ready to post, but wanted to preview as a spell check. I clicked on preview and received the message that I couldn't post.

I never hit save as a draft. My post disappeared. Next time, when logging in, I will choose a longer time to stay logged in. The program does not seem designed for old guys who write long posts. :(

Ken

HaioPaio

Ken
Using the save as draft function ist the right way. Leaving the computer without saving the text is risky. An internet connection can be interrupted at any time and there is no guarantee that the automatic login after the interruption always succeeds.
A longer default time helps, but does not prevent data loss completely.

Ken S

Well stated. A lesson learned......
Ken

John_B

For longer posts I always use MS Word. I set my login to forever as my PC is in a trusted spot as well.
Sharpen the knife blade
Hone edge until perfection
Cut with joy and ease

Ken S

Admin sent me a very helpful email. Under "Look and Layout" by your username there are numerous options, including an autosave drafts option. I activated this. (I also changed the time zone from Swedish to Eastern US, one less mental conversion.)

I want to spend some exploring the changes in both the forum and the website.

Ken

cbwx34

Quote from: Ken S on December 06, 2022, 11:05:26 AMAdmin sent me a very helpful email. Under "Look and Layout" by your username there are numerous options, including an autosave drafts option. I activated this. (I also changed the time zone from Swedish to Eastern US, one less mental conversion.)

I want to spend some exploring the changes in both the forum and the website.

Ken

Just so you know... the "autosave" function seems to stop working the first time you preview a post.  I'd occasionally hit the convenient  "Save Draft" button.

Just for you Ken...  https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.1:Main_Page   ;)
(There's even a section for moderators.)

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S