News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Water Trough Vibrating

Started by jobewan, January 29, 2020, 02:35:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbwx34

Quote from: Scotty on January 11, 2022, 01:45:51 AM
How did you bend them?
They seem to be plastic- I fear I might snap them off.
Thanks

In my case, I used a large box wrench, and applied gentle pressure.  I was afraid of the same thing.  But in my case, there was no noticeable "bending", I just applied gentle pressure to each "leg", and repeatedly checked until the noise was gone.  There was no visible change.
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Beaker

I find my water trough will vibrate and make noise somewhat randomly and that it is most certainly the resonant frequency of the setup that causes this.  A very simple (if inelegant) fix that has always worked for me is to take a "grip clamp" and simply clamp it onto the water trough as shown in the picture.  It changes the natural frequency of the setup and 90% of the time fixes the issue.  If I still have some noise/vibration I can usually just move the clamp slightly and it will work.

Beaker.

Bobmartin

interesting fix, i have a new T9 with the same vibration issue but i feel it is unacceptable to spend this much money & have to bodge it to stop vibration

TireguyfromMA

The tray on my less than 1 year old T8 also started vibrating loudly this summer.  I was trying to do knife sharpening at local farmers market but had to shut the machine off if I needed to talk to a customer, vibrated in my shop at home just as bad...driving me nuts.  Contacted TORMEK support, they were good, but wanted me to send the machine back to them for repair or replacement.  This would have cost me some business right before the holiday so I declined.  I ended up putting strips of electrical tape on the bottom of the tray, right where the lift arms go and a couple of strip on the case of the T8 where the tray slides up and down.  Problem is pretty much GONE.  The machine is as quiet as new.  Almost 2AM here, I can't figure out how to attach a photo of how I applied the tape.

3D Anvil

Quote from: cbwx34 on January 11, 2022, 02:28:07 PM
Quote from: Scotty on January 11, 2022, 01:45:51 AMHow did you bend them?
They seem to be plastic- I fear I might snap them off.
Thanks

In my case, I used a large box wrench, and applied gentle pressure.  I was afraid of the same thing.  But in my case, there was no noticeable "bending", I just applied gentle pressure to each "leg", and repeatedly checked until the noise was gone.  There was no visible change.
So glad I saw this thread.  I used the blunt end of a planar blade to pry the prongs up very slightly.  The vibration is GONE and my sanity is preserved.

RickKrung

Quote from: TireguyfromMA on December 07, 2022, 07:47:33 AM...snip...

Almost 2AM here, I can't figure out how to attach a photo of how I applied the tape.

With the new forum interface, attaching photos has changed and has become more complex, requiring more steps, but it has improved in that images can be uploaded and inserted more directly than before.  There is also a seemingly dead end if you first and only click on the Insert Image icon button in the toolbar. 
You cannot view this attachment.

Doing this opens a dialog box where you can insert a URL, IF you have it stored somewhere on the internet where a URL is available. 

I don't have this option, so I don't know what happens if it is used.  The alternative manner, what I do know follows below.

The "other" method is not available until and unless you first save the post as a DRAFT: "Save Draft", 

which changes the interface and brings up the "Attachments and other options" option. 

Once the image upload options become available, you can do it in two way, 1) Drag and Drop, or 2) Uploading by a dialog box that accesses files on your device.

I prefer doing it through "ADD FILES":

But, before the image is actually available in the post, you must click the "UPLOAD" button on the right.  This attaches the image to the bottom of the post.

If you want the image to be posted inline, within the text, like I'm doing here, then you must click the "INSERT" button.  But FIRST, you need to place the cursor at the location in the text where you want the image to appear. 

Two cautions, 1) it appears that a maximum of 8 files are allowed, and 2) once you have posted with the images, if you go back in to edit/modify, you cannot add any more files.  This latter issue may or may not be true, but I may have encountered it because I was already at the 8 file max.

Rick
Quality is like buying oats.  If you want nice, clean, fresh oats, you must pay a fair price. However, if you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, that comes at a lower price.