News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

thoughts on SVM and KJ knife jigs

Started by Ken S, November 29, 2022, 05:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadVlad

I've been actively following the forum for about ten years with tremendous pleasure. I would like to thank all for open and free exchange of often mind blowing ideas, and also honor those contributors who passed away.

Even though I'm not a Tormek owner (yet), over the years I've purchased numerous pieces of USB, XB-100,SVM-45  and recently KJ-45 & 140 to use with my slow belt grinder setup (3.5m/s) and slow bench grinder (1400RPM).
I sharpened over 200 butcher knives (tapered/FFG blades) during slaughter season with KJ-45 and developed a hard skin on my index finger. Friction and pressure coming from tightening knurled knob was soon unbearable and I replaced it with a 6x16mm Allen head bolt.

Gripping tapered/FFG blades is hard(er) and that's the only complaint I have so far in regard with KJ-45. Not sure about build quality, but have faith in Swedish made products and will order a few more jigs if current batch of five holds up good.
I sharpen exclusively on a first stop, but measure projection from the second stop as it's dead flat (and deduct 25mm accordingly for the math).

Incoming 45x19mm aluminum profile from Finnish GreenLab will serve as a base for projection distance block.
It has a continuous center groove and measuring projection from the first stop would be impossible anyway...

agwinner1

I'm coming in late to this discussion, I just discovered that the SVM-45 is no longer made by Tormek. I'm a professional sharpener, I work farmer's markets and do pop-ups at quilt shows and homes. I need to work quickly, the SVM lets me adjust the clamp quickly for a new knife instead of changing the support bar height. I've been overtightening the SVM, yesterday I stripped out the brass threads after about a year of use. I really don't want to use the KJ, my routine is suddenly upset. I have two others that I had milled out per Vadim.
Does anyone have an SVM they would like to sell me?

cbwx34

Quote from: agwinner1 on May 11, 2023, 05:28:30 PMI'm coming in late to this discussion, I just discovered that the SVM-45 is no longer made by Tormek. I'm a professional sharpener, I work farmer's markets and do pop-ups at quilt shows and homes. I need to work quickly, the SVM lets me adjust the clamp quickly for a new knife instead of changing the support bar height. I've been overtightening the SVM, yesterday I stripped out the brass threads after about a year of use. I really don't want to use the KJ, my routine is suddenly upset. I have two others that I had milled out per Vadim.
Does anyone have an SVM they would like to sell me?

Might try this one...

https://advanced-machinery.myshopify.com/products/used-demo-tormek-svm-45-knife-jig?_pos=1&_sid=963875b0d&_ss=r
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

Here is another source for the SVM-45. I suspect many dealers may have a few in stock. I would not wait.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/sharpening/jigs-mounts-and-rests/67115-tormek-knife-jigs

Ken