News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.
www.tormek.com

Main Menu

Chisel not square

Started by Hat, May 26, 2008, 09:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hat

I have learned how to use my Tormek. After leting it collect dust for about a year. My problem is on my chisels, they are coming out sharp but the are not square. I have the older Tormek the green one. Help what could I be doing wrong. Thanks Hat  

Jeff Farris

The problem is most likely how you are mounting the tool in the straight edge jig.  Take a look at this PDF download Tech Bulletin:  http://www.sharptoolsusa.com/squareedgeweb.pdf

The new SE-76 Square Edge Jig has addressed the problem and is easier to set up for square grinding than the old jig, however, if you follow the recommendations in the above linked Tech Bulletin, I think you'll get your edges square.
Jeff Farris

ErichinOR

Just received my system last week and trying to figure how this forum works. is sharpening about 10 chisels few american made and several chinese junk found that the chinese seemed to not be square but after some serious examination found that the reference points were eiither bowed or cupped ( side and flat side of chisel, determined buy btter hardware to start but went through the motions and found this to be a relatively simple task. will try some gouges next and hope for the best. also sharpened about six knives (chef type and cook type) found that this was a bit more difficult but those suckers came out very sharp. all advice appreciated thanks

Erich