News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

KJ-140

Started by Thy Will Be Done, October 17, 2022, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Will Be Done

Does one benefit from using this jig on longer stiff/thick blades over just using the KJ-45?  I only have the 45 and am planning to do a lot of knives over 6" so I want to get the best possible result.  It seems the 140 is mainly needed for long thin knives like filet knives from the marketing... am I missing something?

tgbto

Hi,

I don't see any advantages for thick knives, whatever their length. Those are easily sharpened with the 45.

The 140 is for flexible AND high blades : a narrow blade will not protrude enough from the jig which will hit the stone before the blade does, at least for low angles.

Nick.

RichColvin

I have one of my grandfather's butcher knives which is very flexible and thin.  It works wonders when sharp.

That knife is about 12" long, so the KJ-140 is really necessary for a proper sharpening.

I also find the KJ-140 really useful for sharpening long knives like fish filleting knives.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

cbwx34

Quote from: Thy Will Be Done on October 17, 2022, 02:22:00 PM
Does one benefit from using this jig on longer stiff/thick blades over just using the KJ-45?  I only have the 45 and am planning to do a lot of knives over 6" so I want to get the best possible result.  It seems the 140 is mainly needed for long thin knives like filet knives from the marketing... am I missing something?

I'll second (third?) what was said above... if the knife isn't flexible, there's no real benefit to the wider jig.  (I can't even remember the last time I used the wider jig.)
Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

BeSharp

Tormek recommends using the narrower jig unless the blade flexes.