News:

Welcome to the Tormek Community. If you previously registered for the discussion board but had not made any posts, your membership may have been purged. Secure your membership in this community by joining in the conversations.

www.tormek.com

Main Menu

SVM-45 Discontinued?

Started by Thy Will Be Done, October 15, 2022, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thy Will Be Done

I see the long knife version of this appears labeled as such on dealers online and neither of them are listed on Tormek website US anymore.  So it seems they are being replaced by the KJ-45 but I've found that it doesn't do everything I need.  .333" thick 'knives' or choppers will not work when they are flat ground instead of saber.  Guess I need to buy one before the stock dries up if that's the case.

cbwx34

Quote from: Thy Will Be Done on October 15, 2022, 09:42:06 PM
I see the long knife version of this appears labeled as such on dealers online and neither of them are listed on Tormek website US anymore.  So it seems they are being replaced by the KJ-45 but I've found that it doesn't do everything I need.  .333" thick 'knives' or choppers will not work when they are flat ground instead of saber.  Guess I need to buy one before the stock dries up if that's the case.

I suspected they would be discontinued, so not surprised.

Knife Sharpening Angle Calculator:
Calcapp Calculator-works on any platform. New url!
(or Click HERE to see other calculators available)

Ken S

I have no inside knowledge about the SVM-45 or SVM-140; however, it would not surprise me if they were discontinued. Although Tormek is quite good about maintaining spare parts for older machines, older jigs and accessories are generally limited to supplies on hand. Examples of this are the SE-76 (replaced by the SE-77); the older version of the TTS-50 Truing Tool; etc.

This does not mean that these older jigs and accessories are completely unavailable. When I first joined the forum in 2009, former member, Ionut and I had a lengthy discussion about sharpening traditional "pig sticker" mortising chisels. These are too thick to be held in the SE-76. They do fit in the older SVH-60 square edge jig. At the time, the SVH-60 was long discontinued. Ionut worked as a Tormek demonstrator for Big Bear Tools in Canada and knew they had a couple "new old stock". I purchased one through Big Bear Tools. Ever since then, I have been prepared to sharpen thick mortise chisels. (I have never actually owned or sharpened a thick mortising chisel. The SE-76 and SE-77 work fine with the much more common sash mortising chisels.)

My point is that older Tormek jigs are available, when and where you find them. I would not panic over the SVM-45. If you feel you have some knives which will not work with the new KJ-45 or have other special needs for the SVM-45, I would suggest purchasing one (two if you sharpen professionally). I would not fall prey to online sellers who might sell them as "rare" at inflated prices. They are not rare.

Ken

Thy Will Be Done

Quote from: Ken S on October 16, 2022, 12:31:59 PM
I have no inside knowledge about the SVM-45 or SVM-140; however, it would not surprise me if they were discontinued. Although Tormek is quite good about maintaining spare parts for older machines, older jigs and accessories are generally limited to supplies on hand. Examples of this are the SE-76 (replaced by the SE-77); the older version of the TTS-50 Truing Tool; etc.

This does not mean that these older jigs and accessories are completely unavailable. When I first joined the forum in 2009, former member, Ionut and I had a lengthy discussion about sharpening traditional "pig sticker" mortising chisels. These are too thick to be held in the SE-76. They do fit in the older SVH-60 square edge jig. At the time, the SVH-60 was long discontinued. Ionut worked as a Tormek demonstrator for Big Bear Tools in Canada and knew they had a couple "new old stock". I purchased one through Big Bear Tools. Ever since then, I have been prepared to sharpen thick mortise chisels. (I have never actually owned or sharpened a thick mortising chisel. The SE-76 and SE-77 work fine with the much more common sash mortising chisels.)

My point is that older Tormek jigs are available, when and where you find them. I would not panic over the SVM-45. If you feel you have some knives which will not work with the new KJ-45 or have other special needs for the SVM-45, I would suggest purchasing one (two if you sharpen professionally). I would not fall prey to online sellers who might sell them as "rare" at inflated prices. They are not rare.

Ken

I will buy at least one but why do you suggest getting two for professional use?  Are they a wear item that's expected to have a certain life or more in a 'two is one, one is none' sort of capacity?

Ken S

" I will buy at least one but why do you suggest getting two for professional use?  Are they a wear item that's expected to have a certain life or more in a 'two is one, one is none' sort of capacity?"

I was thinking of "two is one, one is none". Three of my SVM jigs are the pre2002 models. Like all Tormek products, they are built to last. However, they can be mislaid or left at home. If I was looking at sharpening a hundred knives on a busy Saturday morning, I would feel better knowing I had a spare knife jig. With a helper, set up efficiency could also be improved with a second jig for the loader.

Ken

RichColvin

I also recommend you try to get the SVM-100 and the older SVM-140 if you can.  They are quite handy for certain sharpening operations.
---------------------------
Rich Colvin
www.SharpeningHandbook.info - a reference guide for sharpening

You are born weak & frail, and you die weak & frail.  What you do between those is up to you.

BeSharp

The updated Tormek Hand Tool Kit has only the new KJ-45 and KJ-140. Looks like they have discontinued the old jigs...

https://tormek.com/en/products/kits/htk-806-hand-tool-kit

Ken S

Be Sharp,

I think you are right; the changes in the kit are probably a harbinger of things to come. I believe the future will favor the KJ jigs once we become familiar with them. Sebastien wisely said that he and Wolfgang are planning a second online class on the KJ jigs after we have had a chance to use them.

In the meantime, I still suggest any knife sharpener who for some reason does not have an SVM-45 purchase one.
They do operate differently than the KJ jigs. Knife designs vary enough to allow room for both designs to be useful.

Ken

PS I need to work on font formatting.....